What makes your Rolling Release stable?

First of all: Is there a Manjaro mailinglist? This forum is technically difficult and has to much restrictions (e.g. no links allowed). In my sense the forum is inpolite because of the reputation system.

I’m a becoming(!) upstream maintainer of a Python application. I use Debian and don’t know much about other distributions. But as a upstream maintainer I have to learn some things. That is why I am asking. :slight_smile: I don’t want to troll or start heavy and hot pro and cons discussions.

The question is why your rolling release model makes a stable distribution?
I assume it is stable. In another case you wouldn’t have so much users.

I know rolling release from Debians unstable and testing branches which are special cases and they are not stable by default and not for productive use.

What mechanisms you have to be (nearly) sure that your releases are stable? Is there a quality check or something?

Let’s take a look at “my” application “backintime”
forum doesn’t allow links! H_T_T_P_S://packages.manjaro.org/?query=backintime

I can see a GitLab repo with an installer like script.
H_T_T_P_S://gitlab.manjaro.org/packages/community/backintime/-/blob/master/PKGBUILD

It seems to me that you install direct from the upstream GitHub repo, right?
Which version/tag/commit do you use here? I can’t understand that in the script.

Am I right so far with my journey? :wink:

Manjaro is not just a rolling-release distribution; it is a curated rolling release. Barring any urgent security updates or equally urgent bug fixes to individual packages, updates are bundled together and issued on average about twice a month.

Packages go through rigorous testing via the Unstable and Testing branches before they end up in Manjaro Stable, whereby the Testing branch also follows the curated rolling-release update model.

Lastly, Manjaro’s Unstable branch is on par with Arch’s Stable branch, which means that a fair amount of testing has already been performed by the Arch developers upstream before it reaches us.

9 Likes

Scroll down to the very bottom of manjaro.org, they’re listed there.

Please see Understanding Discourse Trust Levels

Please see Manjaro Features

Yes. See the source() URL.

It’s using the 1.3.2 commit.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.