What is your backup strategy?

A recent thread got me to thinking about backups and disaster recovery plans. Wondering what my fellow Manjaroos do.

Here is mine:

Timeshift: Daily (keep 3), Weekly (keep 1) Monthly (keep 1), and Boot (keep 1), stored on my HDD.

Rsync to my NAS: Documents (daily), entire system (weekly), via cron/anacron.

Also weekly: Docs, pics, and music synced to a flash drive stored in a fire-resistant safe. As well, I evaluate my docs and determine what are the items that I absolutely cannot lose. I copy all that to a temp folder, “tar.gz” it, encrypt it to myself and asymmetrically encrypt it, then upload that file to:

Google Drive, iCloud, dropbox, MSN, and my ISP. yes, I have my GPG private key backed up ( I won’t go into the details of that, other than to say I even have printed copies of the key). :wink:

So what do you think? Overboard, or am I ready if I fat-finger a dd command?

2 Likes

My backup strategy is to rsync when I remember to. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I mean to remember we had a few discussions about it.
https://forum.manjaro.org/search?q=backup%20

My backup strategy is:

Pray the lord my soul to take…

2 Likes

You must have a whole lot of very important stuff. I use Borg Backup.
Have you printed your docs as well? I find that paper is less corruptible than digital storage when kept safe.

LOL! I’ve said in the past that sometimes my google/search-fu just isn’t there. :wink:

My backup plan usually goes like this:

panic

“The first thing to go wrong in battle, is the plan.” ~ Somebody

5 Likes
  • My (La)TeX projects --> Git (with a remote repo in GitLab)

• My dot files --> idem

• My writings, notes, events, tasks, etc, which I edit almost daily (all in Emacs Org Mode) --> Nextcloud sync (Raspberry Pi)

• My ~/ directory --> rsync (weekly) to an external hard drive

Anyway, the problem is not the backup, but the backup of the backup of the backup etc … It’s like entering a loop of infinite paranoia :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For /home I use CrashPlan with a custom encryption key.

I also have a daily cron job to run pacman -Qqen to output to a file all installed packages (to a hidden folder in /home).
I also run pacman -Qqem to generate another file with my AUR installs

If any system configuration is modified, I copy it to the same folder as above to preserve this change.

Seems to work really well. I recently built a new computer and installed Manjaro fresh and used the files above to have pacman install everything and was back up in no-time. :slight_smile:

Backups are for Turnbeutelvergesser (wimps) :sunglasses:
Ok, ok I simply installed timeshift and do a daily to a MicroSD. Really important stuff goes to a external spinner, which is done manually.

Of course. And followed (to the best of my ability) preservation hints from US National Archives, Library of Congress, et al. Fire is my worst enemy here, but I just can’t afford a big fire-proof/resistant safe. :neutral_face:

:laughing: I wish I knew that word when I was stationed in Wiesbaden in the early 80’s. OTOH, I would’ve horribly assaulted it like I did everything else WRT the German language. :rofl:

I only backup personal data(documents/videos/pictures/music/etc). For me backup is not about recovering my system after an issue. I am usually able to fix my system in a scenario like that. In the worst case, I could re-install because I backup my important data. There are a handful of system files I have copies of like my .zshrc.

I usually want at a minimum 2 local copies and one remote copy. At least the remote copy has to support point in time restores of all data.

Here is my current strategy. Most large files are stored directly on my Synology and accessed over SMB or NFS. There is nightly sync between the Synology and a QNAP. There is daily backup job that does encrypted backups using Duplicati(currently searching for a replacement) to the cloud. When the files are stored on my local machine, they are synced up to the Synology daily. This gives me 3-4 copies or my data with at least 1 supporting point in time restores.

The two largest mistakes I see people make when managing backups is to keep all the copies of their data local to them, or to use a “sync only” strategy. If all the copies of your data at your house and you have a theft or a house fire you can lose everything. With a sync only strategy, when you delete or corrupt a file it will sync everywhere and overwrite your data. Keeping 30 days of version changes as some services do is really not enough for most people because it often takes longer than that to realize something is wrong.

2 Likes

I have little I want to backup. I keep 2 days of system files in case I have issue with an update or I do something stupid. On a weekly basis I backup most of my home directory in case I lose data or need to recover a configuration file.

rsync to two external SSDs and backup to iDrive (cloud) using the scripts they offer for Linux; see https://www.idrive.com/ . Also, I rsync my laptops daily so that I have all my files in more than one machine.

Where’s fireproof paper when you need it?

1 Like

I’ve had many (micro)SD cards fail on me. I cannot trust everything to only one of those things.

All the photos, music, movies are on various hdds on separate partitions and get updated from time to time over the home network, Really need 3 copies of the important stuff to ensure there is always a main copy plus a backup if one fails.
The contents of the home folder get copied to other disks from time.
Not concerned about system files as it’s more practical to just download the latest iso and start fresh since the bulk of the data would be on a different partition.
When a disk failed just copied everything over to the new hdd since the new size would be significantly larger than the old hdd thus ensuring disks were being updated but the last $'s were spent on a much smaller M2 so need to rethink my strategy.

Just as @wombat said, I don’t create system backups. Waste of time and disk space. It just shows you have no confidence in the system you are using, nor in yourself. Should something go wrong it takes an hour to reinstall fresh. Something I like more.

2 Likes

I just don’t want to repost everything I’ve written elsewhere. I also suspect others have a similar feeling, too. I don’t know if this can lead to a degradation of the quality of replies with time, but I hope it won’t.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by