What is the target date for upgrading the GCC packages from 13.X to 14.X?

I want to compile my source code with GCC but the current version available on manjaro is 13.2.1.5 and thus does not support _BitInt like gcc14 does. I understand there are some ABI changes so I’m not expecting it to be instant but I would like to know the minimum length of time I’m going to have to rely on clang before I can switch back. My project is an ABI wrapper that mandates GNU ABI compatibility so _BitInt ended up being a requirement after I decided to hide the data models in addition to the OS api behind a define for native builds. This is so that the number of potential builds for a each CPU model would be drastically reduced for the public API to just one.

Follow the upstream project - it will be in Manjaro shortly after

Wait, even on the official page they say it isn’t even released yet, so how could there be any “target date”? You have gcc-git in AUR, but read pinned comments.

Wait, even on the official page they say it isn’t even released yet, so how could there be any “target date”? You have gcc-git in AUR, but read pinned comments.

All I know is that it’s mentioned as patched in on the related issue for _BitInt:

https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=102989

Follow the upstream project - it will be in Manjaro shortly after

I already have the AUR active and even that one says 13.X, not 14.X

What? :thinking:

Did you actually build it to see that? -git is latest git commit, so version in the name doesn’t mean anything.

1 Like

Why would I expect the actual version to be different from the reported version? Minor and patch sure but not the major.

I just told you why. Do you think someone changes version manually after each commit?

1 Like

On each major version change yeah, is that not a reasonable thing to expect? Also for all I knew the git one was just a mirror that occasionally gets updated. Well I’ll give compiling it a try but not right now, I have a job interview coming up soon so I’ll try after.

Please read what is a -git package and how it works.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/VCS_package_guidelines

I know what a git package is, doesn’t mean I can assume it’s the main git repo though. It’s perfectly possible to mirror a git repo and then download from the mirror instead.

You don’t have to assume anything, it’s even your responsibility to inspect the PKGBUILD yourself.

That doesn’t have anything to do with listed version though. If 5 year old PKGBUILD works fine, then 5 year old version will be listed.

2 Likes

Finally got round to trying to install gcc-git just now but I keep getting a rather baffling error message that should never appear: unable to satisfy dependency 'gcc=13.2.1-5' required by gcc-ada. I don’t even have gcc-ada installed, I’ve even uninstalled the gcc-fortran package (don’t now why it was on there when I never build anything with fortran) . Is there a way to force install via the terminal at all?

gcc-ada is a make dependency of gcc-git. Look, you’re gonna break your system if you don’t know what you’re doing.

1 Like

That’s odd but fine, I’ll try installing the git version of that then

Looks more like you already have some different version of gcc installed (and not 13.2.1-5 from repo).

It IS the repo one I have installed at the moment, I expect the git version will just replace it which is what I want anyways

Edit: I give up, the package manager refuses to do as I tell it. I try to tell it to install gcc-ada-git. Tt says I need git-d so I try to install git-d-git, again it won’t let me because it tries to update gcc-libs to gcc-libs-git but in turn gets rejected because of gcc-ada declaring it needs it despite it not being on the system. So try installing the repo versions gcc-ada and gcc-d. They go smoothly, I retry gcc-git, no go because of gcc-libs again. How am I supposed to upgrade gcc if the systems say no at every turn?