What is good software for incremental backup and good partitioning scheme for reliable snapshots of Manjaro system AND /home

Why not one BTRFS filesystem, and then make home its own subvolume? This way you get the most efficient use of your available space, without wasting so much of it (90GB) solely on root.

1 Like

Given that / and /home are separate partitions in your example, that’s how it would be by default.

Yes, but see below.

Yes, but…

1. Snapshots are not backups. If you want to make backups, then you need a physically separate drive, with a partition formatted with a Linux-native filesystem.

2. timeshift does not include /home by default — the developer recommends against that — although you can tell it to.

2 Likes

I’ll have to correct you there, since there seems to be a conflation with the terms “backups” and “snapshots”.

Here is the “proper” way to explain it:

(clears throat)

:warning: :warning: :warning: Snapshots. Are. NOT. Backups. :warning: :warning: :warning:

:grin:

Maybe with some fireworks exploding into neon letters can also help get the message across.

3 Likes
  1. Because I also want separate snapshots of /home.
  2. My documents are around 100GB (may grow to 150GB), largely pdf, text, libreoffice docs

For backup I use external harddisk.

Snapshots can be done on a per-subvolume basis.

Subvolumes are not partitions nor block devices. You don’t “size them” upon creation. (You can create “quotas”, but that’s out of the scope of this discussion.)

1 Like

How many topics do you need to open about the same thing?

2 Likes

Yes. For backup I regularly use external harddisk. Moot question is, whether or not 90/900 gb for / and /home is reasonable ratio for Manjaro system and my documents (around 100GB which may grow to 150GB), largely pdf, text, libreoffice docs ???

I am puzzled, because an experienced member suggested separate partition for /home for reliable snapshot of Documents. I am myself not good at linux, else I would not have posed the question.

You’re sure they weren’t referring to subvolumes, and advising against including @home (i.e, /home) in your Timeshift snapshots?

Partitions are not the same as subvolumes.

And your question (for this topic) was already answered here:

1 Like

Ok. In that case /home will remain subvolume of larger btrfs partition. Same as my present partitioning.

Ok. I give up my quest for snapshots of /home and remain contented with backup on external HDD every few months.

Thank you all for inputs. Snapshot of /root (subvolume @) failed to restore 2 days back. Forced to clean install Manjaro again.

If there exist a fail-safe and step-by-step guide to (i) partitioning, (ii) Manjaro installation and (iii) taking/restoring snapshots, please share. Else people like me would learn hardway, stumbling on mistakes.

Thing is, from quickly reading your previous threads, no one found what caused your issues to begin with. I’ll sound pessimistic, but even if you take all the precautions available, there is absolutely no warranty they won’t happen again…

:100: Yes

:100: Yes

I do use snapper :footprints:

Look with forumsearch for “Timeshift” and decide yourself

Tip:

Use btrfs with 2 Devices and RAID

You find good Information about Btrfs in the wiki

1 Like

Previously I used full disk encryption with the /home as a subvolume.

When trying to restore from snapshot boot files could not be reached, due encryption and restored system would boot.

Now I have a seperate encrypted home partition and / system partition with boot files not encrypted…

Restoring and booting works now perfect.

There is another way: Linux Kernels in /boot and /boot/efi for GRUB menu should not be encrypted.
Restoring at booting work fine too.

3 Likes

Great, is there an instruction how to do this? With the calemares installer I don’t get that result.

Yes. I failed to communicate something.

In my case, I do not need encryption. Next time I will test restore before populating /home

It used to be easily accomplished with manjaro-architect which hasn’t been updated in a while.

But for anything that goes outside of the standard installation partitioning scheme, you can prepare your partitions, encrypted containers, logical volumes, subvolumes, filesystems, etc, ahead of time, and then use the “Manual” option during installation to tell Manjaro what to use and how to mount it. (It will also require entering a chroot environment before rebooting to make the necessary edits to fstab, crypttab, grub, and whatever else that is relevant to your setup.)

2 Likes

For new users who are not good at linux, and who get to this post,