What is firefox-kde-opensuse?

As a newbie, can you elaborate on firefox-kde-opensuse for me?

Specifically, what is the difference between “firefox-kde-opensuse” and “firefox-kde-opensuse-bin” and does this work along with the Firefox I am using, or is this a complete standalone browser with the patch included, such that I could delete the vanilla FF I am currently running and try this version instead?

-bin is not built from source but a ready-made binary is used (afaik).
but as firefox-kde-opensuse isn’t dropped from manjaro after all i wouldn’t recommend using the AUR.
You can’t easily use vanilla and patched firefox parallel (at least as far as my knowledge goes ^^), as the patched version is also installed simply as “firefox”. That is reflected by the fact that firefox and firefox-kde-opensuse packages are conflicting.
But your profile won’t be affected, so you can easily try firefox-kde-opensuse and revert back to normal firefox without any hassle :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

I am not even really sure I completely understand what the opensuse-kde patched version of the browser does, but I am trying to experiment (safely) as often as possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

nothing wrong about that ^^
i don’t have an exact idea of all the bits that are patched too, main thing for me is the file chooser i think - but i never really compared the two “side by side”

It depends on the source. In AUR firefox-kde-opensuse needs to be compiled while bin version is already compiled and thus easy to install. However as @Termy already said, it’s advised not to install the binary version from untrusted source. This gives us the third option: firefox-kde-opensuse from Manjaro repo which is both binary but trusted source. Unfortunately, this is a semi-official package and we aren’t promised to have it all the time. Currently, we have but it may be possible that if it will be gone, we will have to turn to AUR version.

And if you wonder what firefox-kde-opensuse does differently from vanilla FF: it has KDE dialog windows (default one uses GTK ones) and allows for having global menus in Plasma, so FF feels more native to Plasma. There are also some additional patches which improve certain areas of the browser. It’s hard to specify but I saw sites where this patched version was handling certain sites better then vanilla FF.

2 Likes

Do not uninstall the vanilla version first, just install “firefox-kde-opensuse” fom the repository. That way you will keep all your extensions, bookmarks, themes, etc, fully installed and ready on your new install.

Whaaat? Bad advice :wink: .

First, you can’t have both installed, firefox-kde-opensuse conflicts with firefox and vice versa so installing one means you have to uninstall the previous version.

Second, uninstalling either version will keep FF personal configs and thus all your extensions and settings will be preserved so you can jump between versions safely. firefox-kde-opensuse is simply a firefox so it will use the same settings folder as before so no need to fear that something will be lost.

1 Like

It will automatically uninstall the other version as they conflict, but if you do it all at once it preserves the user profile for the new kde version.

I uninstalled previous versions manually many times and the new install always had all my extensions and settings. If it happened otherwise it was due to an error. Maybe it depends on how one uninstalls programs. I just use Octopi for that and all is preserved.

Well I guess I was mistaken. I’m not in the habit of uninstalling FF. I thought whenever you installed a new version of FF it automatically created a new randomly generated string of numbers for the profile folder name.

I just went ahead and deleted the stock firefox entirely and found kde-opensuse version (no bin) in the non-AUR search using Octopi GUI.

My biggest issue was that when I opened a file or download window, it was uncontrollably fullscreen and had different window look & feel.

Now it is resizable/dragable and looks nicer. That’s all I have noticed but worth it for me. Hopefully as things update I don’t get bit by this kde-opensuse version lagging behind?

thanks! I made the change yesterday using the version in the repos (a non-AUR Octopi search) and I notice and enjoy the exact changes (dialog menus were REALLY annoying me and the global menus) you have described.

I was worried about this very thing, but it seemed safest to uninstall completely first. Can confirm, it took a second to load all the extensions and settings again but it remembered everything. I did not even need to re-login to FF.

1 Like

for the last years i had no issues in that regard. However, lately there had been two updates where i had to wait a few days until firefox-kde-opensuse was updated to perform the update due to strict dependencies with the i18n-packages. Not a dealbreaker for me.

1 Like

I deal with it that way that I put i18 package to ignore group so it won’t hold my general system updates. Then when update of ff-kde-opensuse comes I just install i18 package manually.

Lately ff-kde-opensuse is updated very quickly so this not a problem, at least at the moment.

I wish there were thunderbird-kde-opensuse version. In Thunderbird we deal with attachments very often so having kde-dialogs would help a lot. At the moment we can only use thunderbird-appmenu AUR package but this has to be compiles and compiling Thunderbird is a pain, it’s more problematic then FF (lasts longer and is easy to run into various problems so we have to re-launch many hours compilations many times… I wish there were bin version, I would took it, because compiling Thunderbird is so annoying).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.