What I don't get

ubuntu

Hey there,
I’ve been wondering lately why Ubuntu LTS doesn’t use the LTS kernel. - It would make sense in my eyes.
Instead they’re using 4.15 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS right now, and you can upgrade to 4.18.

Seantum

so your options with ubuntu lts is a non-lts 4.15 kernel or upgrade to an EOL kernel 4.18? yep that makes sense :joy:

Yes, as I’ve already written, it does’nt make sense to me.
If I want a LTS distro, then I’d use a LTS kernel.

Why does Ubuntu 14.04 LTS use a non-LTS kernel version

A short answer is: "It is an LTS kernel ".

Mainline kernel developers didn’t make it an LTS , but the Canonical Kernel Team did.

while that info is dated, it’s likely the answer to your question.
ubuntu IS the LTS in ubuntu lts

they choose to do their own lts support for their kernels.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Support

Welcome to the world of point release distributions.

There are no changes in versions/APIs after the feature freeze of point release distributions.

Ubuntu is a little bit special. They sync with Debian unstable. After the Feature Freeze there is no more syncing with Debian unstable. This freeze times are fixed for Ubuntu, no exceptions. If at this time Kernel 4.15 is the current Debian unstable Kernel, it will be the Ubuntu kernel. No matter what. It is freezed. It doesn’t matter if it makes sense. It will be the Kernel.

That’s interesting. So it seems that a “normal” 4.15 kernel ain’t the same than the Ubuntu 4.15 kernel.
Why would you do that?’
No trust in the kernel developers :wink: ?

And that’s one of the reasons why I switched from Linux Mint to Manjaro,.

But intersting to know.
Maybe some others will reply too. This could become an extremely interesting thread.

im assuming because it makes it easier/stable for the 6months you use if before needing to re-install.

Well, you normally don’t reinstall every 6 months if you want to use Ubuntu LTS (or mentioned Linux Mint for that matter )

i would probably know that had ubuntu/mint not bored me to death in 1 month, nevermind 6 :fearful:

Guess what? RHEL/CentOS still use 3.10 in RHEL/CentOS 7 and they are the most used server distribution.
RHEL/CentOS 8 will use 4.18 (Edit: And they will use that one until 2029 when the 10 year life cyle of 8 ends)
RHEL/CentOS 6 which is still supported until November 2020 uses an old 2.6 kernel

Security Patches can be applied to more or less any kernel if you really want to, that’s what they do at Ubuntu/RHEL and what even Google does for Android (they don’t upgrade to the newest point release, they simply cherry pick the security fixes and apply it to their kernel base)

the reason is that newer major releases are more likely to cause issues - and you don’t want issues in LTS/server versions. The security is kept by applying those patches only.

Very good explanation. Thanks :slight_smile:

So, to be on the save-side, I actually should use linux414 on Manjaro as well. If I really want Manjaro to be as stable as possible.

I agree. - Rolling and especially arch based distros are far more exciting.
In Ubuntu and LM nothing breaks -> boring! :smiley: :wink:

Some points to clarify. Not adding my viewpoints.
o 18.04 will be supported for 10 years.
o Though Ubuntu is not a ‘rolling release’, there is no need to reinstall
There is a method to update to new version either from CLI or at terminal.
I have a few Ubuntu’s and I have updated to newer versions without reinstalling for a few years now.
o As was mentioned, 4.18 is in 18.04 now. I would guess in 8 years time, it would be something more current.

Oh no! Things started breaking more and more for me in point releases in the long term. Ubuntu 12.04 after I was using it for almost 2 years, god! bugs that are already fixed upstream but won’t be fixed for you until minimum 6 months or maybe an year! The PPA’s breaking among other things! Outdated DE!

Point releases break more in the long term. I have been using Manjaro for more than 2 years. I haven’t broken the system once. Not even once. I use for production use cases and I use Stable branch and LTS kernel. That is it! I feel rolling releases are more stable if you want a linux system which you are not going to reinstall every once in a while.

PS: Purely my opinion :slight_smile:

I agree, but only for end-users/desktop use. Not for servers. Manajaro is not meant for, nor really suitable for server-use. We probably agree on this, but I just felt the need to add the comment because you mention the word “production”.