What happens if I update a package/software using it's own updater instead of waiting for an update in the package manager?

TL;DR: If I (self) update a package through it’s own updater will Pamac “lose” track of it’s version, or is it safe?

I mean things like VSCode or DBeaver, which have self update notification and buttons. I don’t even bother with VSCode, because it’s only a matter of hours until the update shows up on Pamac.

But DBeaver, for example, is at version 7.1.5 in Pamac but every time I open it it warns me about the new version, 7.2.0 and it offers to upgrade right there and then.

I’m more curious than in a hurry to update, I really don’t want to make anything unstable or broken, now that I finally got the system working and looking exactly the way I want.

dbeaver v7.2.0 is already in the testing branch, it’s just a matter of time. If you update it manually, you may run into issues related to overwriting files when you try to upgrade next time.

3 Likes

I’ve marked the below answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (I just want to avoid even more subjective opinions being posted and confusing you even more)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please mark a solution like this:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

IMO it’s best to use your package manager(s) where possible. I’ve had issues in the past when using a program’s inbuilt updating mechanism. The latter might cause dependency issues. :wink:

Example is the VirtualBox updater (albeit this was on a Mint system) taking out a load of packages required to start an X session! (Fixed in a TTY by reinstalling the stuff it took out. I had logged the entire process which made it easy).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.