What happened to Manjaro Net edition?

You will get the very same DE installed you see in live session, if you select DE.

Thanks. I guess it will be confusing in this transitional phase.

At first I am trying Manjaro-Architect as if it’s closest to Net and what I intended to play around tonight. It’s installing right now, so far so good. Looks nice and simple. Later on will try also lxqt version but without DE.

The mechanics behind calamares in this config, it works like pacstrap.
It downloads every single package.

@artoo: however the display of progress is not yet finished and therefore we recommend to start CAL with sudo -E calamares -d and post us any errors if any. In regard of Architect, please go to this thread.

Its the best possible with current implementation, we got only 5% of the full progressbar available for the module.
However, the progressbar moves, as opposed to the packages module in hybrid mode.

Yah, I know. I just wanted to mention it as it currently may look a little odd not moving :wink:

It moves, that was my criteria to do netinstall, at least people see its doing something. :slight_smile:

PS: Technically, the module exceeds the limit, but the bar stops moving after it used up 5% overall, or 100% in the module. You can see it in the debug with the float stopping around 1.5…

I tested both: Manjaro-Architect and Manjaro LXQT Net

1. Manjaro-Architect turned out to be very complex and difficult yet very good installer, suitable for advanced users. No issues there, I got fully working and manjaro customized desktop environment. I was surprised and very happy with some options like ability to choose not only DE but also if it’s manjaro configured or if I want full or minimal install.
  2. Manjaro LXQT was a disaster from start till the end. I received trashed, unusable system and the whole installation process was unrewarding and confusing. More details here:

I thought the Net edition was one of the most interesting options of Manjaro! Sad to see it gone. Why remove it already without a fully functioning replacement?

The Net edition was bare bones and easy to install, while at the same time giving the user the option to build anything manually on top of a minimal Manjaro install. It was beautiful. I’ve really learned a lot from it. Glad I saved the last ISO. I need it to mess around with window managers.

I’ve been curious about Manjaro-Architect, but it doesn’t sound as straight forward as the Net edition was.

But it actually is. As well as the new hybrid Calamares ISOs, where you can deselect all DE and GUI packages and will get a plain base system installed.
For the rest of your objections, please, read the thread (again).

Could you elaborate? Aren’t they both just boot and sudo setup

Well, I hope I’m wrong. It’s just that the first impression is more confusing.

If I wanted a minimal install to build from, I’d simply download the Net edition. It offered a minimal install and that’s what it did. Now I have to download a DE ISO and deselect the DE to achieve the same thing? I assume this option won’t be restricted to Lxqt, but the thought of downloading, say, a KDE ISO when my intention is to install nothing but a lightweight window manager is hardly straight forward.

As for Manjaro-Architect I have to admit I missed completely that it had been officially released! I only saw this post where one was greeted with the words “THIS IS NOT READY FOR PRODUCTION ! ONLY USE IN A TEST-ENVIRONMENT !” :sweat_smile: I’ll certainly try it out now.

It’s just that my first impression is that it aims to be even more complex and offer even more options. Don’t get me wrong - I’d still welcome it and use it! :slight_smile: Like I replied above, I completely missed somehow it was released. I was wondering why a working Net edition was dropped entirely when its replacement seemed to be still in testing. Now I know. :sweat_smile:

I’ll give Manjaro-Architect a go when I get home from work. Looking forward to it and hoping it will be awesome.

It is complex when you get to the advanced installation but it is very easy and straightforward to use. There’s even a tutorial: Installation with Manjaro-Architect ISO

Really happy to see a rich tutorial for the TUI installer! I’ll get with the program. :grin:

To end up with what used to be a netinstall you can just follow the Architec tutorial until just before “2.4. Install Manjaro Desktop” - network drivers will already be installed automatically. After that, if you like, you may continue with “Install Bootloader” and “Configure Base”. :slight_smile:

Actually, net edition was dropped before manjaro-architect was even in the works. Net edition was dropped because the old cli-installer didn’t work with the new isos anymore. That’s why manjaro-architect was started:there was no net edition anymore and I did not want qt dependencies in bspwm edition…

Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea! Those are some really valid reasons. :thumbsup:

Now I’m just feeling excited about tinkering with manjaro-architect! :grin:

Maybe we add a simple mode option to Architect or make the optional steps possible more visual that they are optional.

That could be a good idea. I came across some things in manjaro architect that I never heard about but assumed they are optional, so I skipped them. Installation was a success so I guess I was right. But still, this can be very confusing and I recall arch architect to be a bit easier (just basics, not so many options), so pointing out what elements are a must and which are optional should be very helpful.