What does the future hold for Nvidia Linux users?

Intel graphics are looking sweeter these days (Xe, Alchemist, Arc) and I think for my next purchase I’ll just avoid Nvidia. Radeon too. Call me old fashioned, but as far as I’m concerned, Intel across the board (no pun intended) is one approach for nipping Linux problems in the bud, and not just GPU problems. (Disclosure: I’m not invested in Intel but I do want them to compete better.)

I can’t speak for the others, but my Intel Iris Xe can’t even hold a candle versus a cheap Nvidia card. :pensive:

It’s great for desktop usage and effects/compositing, and watching high-def videos, etc, but for gaming? holding large amounts of graphics data? hardware encoding? Even lower-end Nvidia cards crush it.

1 Like

That’s what I’m getting at – our motivations. I don’t dispute Nvidia leading in performance. It’s just that for those of us who aren’t gamers or crypto miners I don’t think Nvidia benefits are all that substantial taking into account the hoops people jump through making it work in Linux. I thought differently at first but after my first year with my first Optimus laptop I’m surprised at how well the Intel iGPU gets the job done with photo and video editing. I still go with discrete Nvidia most times mainly because it would be a shame to waste all that video RAM.

Ever since I started working with Linux all I’ve ever wanted is to dump Nvidia :sweat_smile: as soon as I can I’ll burn Nvidia and change it to something from AMD. Nvidia has only given me trouble.

So far with two different Nvidia cards in the past years, I had no issues at all. Both cards were supported by the latest driver provided in Manjaro though.

1 Like