What do you guys do about NFS 3/4?

I expect that as opposed to the Raspbian distro's way, you run NFS(4) by default?

I'm currently in the process of setting up a pi 3B+ as a NAS, & have struck a problem trying to automount the NFS share on MX. This is due to the raspbian using NFS3 by default (on a 4.19 kernel!?).

It mounts fine from the command line if I use the following in the command line:

mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3

After trying to call the mount in MX via fstab (variety of ways), /etc/rc.local , various "bash" system files, & other methods too, I am obviously now looking at what I can do to make the pi better - even though raspbian has presented me with no problems before now...

Shows you what I know! lol
I just looked a little further into what you are up to here & realised that you don't support the pi 3B+.

Oh well, I'll continue looking for a solution to this show stopper... :slight_smile:

Sorry for wasting your time.

I use nfs - Synology NAS - and I have experimented with different boxes as well rpi2, rpi3 and beaglebone.

To my - limited - knowledge - the difference between v3 and v4 is domain and acl and how you exports the shares.

/srv >>> tree
├── ftp
├── http
├── nfs
│   └── data
└── nfs4
    └── data

/etc/exports

/srv/nfs/data
/srv/nfs4
/srv/nfs4/data

I use systemd mount in fstab - but I reckon it should be possible to do with rc too.

diskstation:/volume1/data   /data/nfs/data  nfs auto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,timeo=14,x-systemd.idle-timeout=1min 0 0

I have made the same against a beaglebone and - I think - an rpi

1 Like

@linux-aarhus, thanks for your reply. :slight_smile:

I'll have a look at the links that you provided.

I managed to get my shared drives to automatically mount on my MX box by putting a separate call in the /etc/rc.local for each of the drives that I want to mount.

Each call goes out to a little script that I wrote to mount each of the drives using NFS v3.

It works.

Though I'm not happy with NFS v3, as I sometimes need to be able to handle large files ( >4GiB), & NFS v3 can't do that. So I'm going to have to find out how to make the pi's raspbian distro use NFS v4, or I'm going to have to use a different distro that does use NFS v4.

Which is why I came looking here in the first place. :slight_smile:

Why it doesn't use NFS v4 by default I have no idea?

Forum kindly sponsored by