How to reset BIOS?

Hi all.

A friend is keen to start his adventure with Linux & I am in the process of installing Manjaro on his Lenovo S100 IdeaPad. I think the BIOS needs to be reset, as it is glitchy - by that I mean, when I try to select the device boot sequence, it cycles through the options really fast & I cannot select one.

I have heard that taking out that small round battery that powers the BIOS, for a few seconds, can reset the BIOS. I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks a lot. Ruziel :slight_smile:

Indeed, removing the CMOS battery for about 10 seconds ─ but safest is to wait a whole minute ─ will reset the BIOS or UEFI firmware back to its factory defaults.

Do however make sure, before you do that, that you write down things like RAM settings, timing, etc., because those may have been optimized by the vendor after manufacturing, and then those settings would be lost as well.

Another thing is that you will have to set the time in the hardware clock again after putting the battery back, and then you’ll have to pay attention to what time you’re setting.

If the machine is to be used with GNU/Linux only, then you’ll have to set the hardware clock to UTC ─ i.e. Greenwich Mean Time ─ but if the machine dual-boots with Microsoft Windows, then you’ll either have to set the hardware clock to local time, or find a way to tell Windows to use UTC; it’s possible, but I cannot tell you how to do it because I don’t use Windows ─ :duck::duck::walking_man: is your friend. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi @Aragorn - thanks a lot for your speedy & useful input. The machine in question has Windows 7 on it but I will be doing a clean install & it will be a Manjaro-only machine. My first challenge is to get it apart, as one of the screws won’t come out but that’s my issue! I will make a note of the settings. Thanks again & more power to you meantime, R.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.