What are your experiences related to stability of Manjaro ecosystem?

I know that Manjaro should be rock solid in terms of stability "if you use it out of box, don't change it too much and if you don't use many packages from AUR". I'd be more interested to know about your personal experiences with Manjaro in everyday use, and if you had some major hickups, what caused it?

Also, I'd like to know about some examples of which AUR packages should I be careful with and if I still have to use them - what to do in order to avoid major accidents. So far, whenever I had any issue with any of my packages from AUR, the package just stopped working as a worst case scenario. Luckily for me, those packages didn't destabilize Manjaro in any way.

Let me start with my personal "best moments" of the year:

1. nVidia driver update - Jump from 430 to 440 caused me a tiny litle heart-attack... or ten!
    Can not Install/Update/Uninstall nvidia-driver
    Not Manjaro's fault, totally nVidia's fault, but made my whole experience approx. 160% more nightmarish.

2. GRUB error after Windows 10 update (dual boot setup) - Broken bootloader/GRUB
    Manjaro & Windows 10 dual-boot-system Grub broken after Windows update
    It happened more than once and each time it was a pain. Real pain. I know we could only blame Microsoft for this, but I don't know if there's anything linux can do to prevent this from happening?

3. Manjaro stops at a message "Started TLP system startup/shutdown" - nVidia AGAIN!
    Stuck at 'Started TLP system startup/shutdown.' - nvidia drivers
    It's nVidia again. I had some other nVidia issues like screen flickering, caused by nvidia driver, but this one stopped loading Manjaro completely. It was also a mini-nightmare to get around it.

Even my list from above doesn't really include any issue caused by Manjaro, those were my biggest issues I faced so far in more than a year of using Manjaro. Note that even now I have more than 50 AUR packages installed and I heavily modified my DE, since I wanted to test the upper limits of this platform. I'm really looking forward to know what caused your biggest trauma, so we could all learn more about potential threats coming towards our way.

All of them.
You are basically using install scripts from outside the official repos.
This is awesome in many ways .. but the main thing is that its transparent .. so you can inspect whats going on. But that doesnt mean there is no possibility of there being something undesirable or even malicious in that code. Thats why if you use the AUR its entirely your responsibility.
Now of course anything found to be having such things will be removed .. but for example, there virtually nothing stopping someone from uploading a PKGBUILD, or snapping up an disowned one, that contains unwanted things .. and for that brief amount of time if you blindly installed 'super new package wow' from the AUR without checking, you would be pervious to those undesirable functions, whatever they may be.

3 Likes

I use testing branch and never had any major issues. I have Intel graphics, which is very Linux-friendly.

1 Like

Basically, I should check manually each and every AUR package before any installation/update. Hm. It reminded me on a popular bs1770gain package, who's author uses his project for promoting ultra-right-wing Nazi ideology and is quite open about it in its description. It's still in AUR and could be freely used by anyone. I wonder what else could be in that package.

Or, a few days ago, I had an interesting close encounter with a very suspicious systemd-guest-user that runs its service as frequently as 5x per 2 seconds!

I dont see it ..

You can always pacman -Qo file to find what package owns a file

1 Like

I hope you use it for more than just a few months? :smile:

http://pbelkner.de/projects/web/bs1770gain/

To be honest, no issues from my side since about 4 years on two computers, using stable branch, both free (on my laptop with Intel graphics) and proprietary drivers (on my desktop with Nvidia drivers, GTX980 and 32" 4K screen) and KDE Plasma all the way.

I use mainly software from the official repos and only two from AUR.

And: always study the update announcements before updating.

That's about it :blush:

2 Likes

I've been using Manjaro for well over a year now, and as my daily driver. I've also been using my computer every single day since then. I have quite a few AUR packages installed, albeit nothing truly exotic.

In all of that time, I've only ever had a couple of small bugs to deal with after an upgrade, but then again, I do all upgrades from within a tty, while completely logged out of the GUI environment.

For myself, Manjaro is as rock-solid stable as it gets, but your mileage may vary, because...

• I don't use Microsoft Windows, and my experiences with said platform (on my own computers) are limited to only six months with DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.0, and two years with Windows NT 4.0 Workstation. In between, I was an OS/2 user, and I also had UNIX experience from my college days.

• I don't dual-boot. I have only one distribution ─ or if you will, one operating system ─ on each computer I own.

• I don't have an nVidia adapter in this machine. It's got on-board Intel graphics.

• Given that I've never really been a Windows user, I also don't have any of the Windows habits or Windows expectations. GNU/Linux is a UNIX/POSIX operating system, and I install and maintain it as such. It takes a bit more planning perhaps, but being conscientious about your operating system really does help in avoiding many of the pitfalls that newbies tend to step into.

• Virtually everything in GNU/Linux (and UNIX in general) is well documented. I read all of the documentation before I ever installed GNU/Linux for the first time, which was back in 1999.

• This machine is a desktop computer, connected to my router via an Ethernet UTP cable, and the router connects to my cable modem in the same way. I therefore don't use WiFi, except with my smartphone.

• I also don't shut down or hibernate my computer ─ UNIX was designed as an always-on operating system, because it was written on and for minicomputers (and later also mainframes).

2 Likes

Thats not the AUR ..
And that pages https is broken .. but the first pinned post from March is that they have been booted from all major repos everywhere :slight_smile:
(but OT - that page is a great example of how certain attitudes/movements have vested interest in making 'culture war' in the software world while at the same time self-victimizing .. oh the 'repressed totalitarian' concept is just beyond hilarious.. if it werent so insidious and lapped up by 'edgy' kids and confused traditionalists)

2 Likes

Oh, it's even worse! :rofl: It's in the Official repo at the moment... this is the author's project page, after he was banned from several other places.

Oh. I see it is.
We can fix that.

2 Likes

I might be wrong, but despite nVidia is really a bad company to deal with any linux distro, it developed GPU Accelerated Computing, which I believe is barely or not yet supported by any other commercial GPU out there. So, it basically gives you an unlimited supply of big juicy oranges and takes away your right foot and half of your right hand for it.

Reg. the dual boot, I have to have it installed for several reasons (it's a requirement), but I use Win10 less than 1% of a time and it gave me 110% of a headache several times already.

Luckily for me, now I feel much more confident to deal with those boogeymen and could resolve each of those issues within minutes.

Besides, would the following be a fair & valid statement to make:

Manjaro additionally checks prior to each major update (right after they are released with Arch) - therefore we may say Manjaro is even more stable than Arch.

1 Like

Yes, and major updates are bundled together. This is why Manjaro must be considered a curated rolling-release distro, rather than just a rolling-release distro.

For me the problematic things are:

1. I use Compiz and I feel like whenever protobuf is updated Compiz breaks down because it requires a rebuild against the new protobuf version and whoever is responsible forgets to trigger the rebuild.

2. Perl related AUR packages like Shutter (which I actually maintain myself) break when Perl itself is updated. All the dependencies require a rebuild then. But this is the AUR, baby, so no complaints. :wink:

3. Sometimes packages are dropped to the AUR and require manual intervention (mostly just uninstalling them) because they prevent the update from completing.

1 Like

1 - if you are using anything other than the compiz-manjaro package then as with all other AUR packages you must rebuild it against current libs. Thats just how AUR packages work.
2 - Same as #1
3- Slightly different, but ultimately either an AUR thing, or simply a discontinued package.
(in most other distros, without the AUR, it would just mean the package disappears)

1 - Yeah, it is the compiz-manjaro package (you can find some reports about the breakages on the forums: https://forum.manjaro.org/search?q=compiz%20protobuf)

2 - As I wrote, no complaints. :wink:

3 - Yep, a discontinued package is exactly what I was trying to describe. See also Feature request: A better handling of packages being dropped to AUR

I fear that my list makes me sound like I'd complain about stuff not working as expected. But actually those occasions when manual intervention is required are rather rare and easy to deal with. I just added my two cents to the question raised by OP.

1 Like

Whenever I feel insecure I create a btrfs snapshot and send it to a different disk.

2 Likes

a/k/a "partial upgrade."

Forum kindly sponsored by