What are some commands new users should know in Manjaro?

I am a new Manjaro user. I would like some commands new users like me should know about.

Are you already a linux user? I found this helpful switching from debian

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

3 Likes

man

$ man man
4 Likes

see in wiki manjaro

• mhwd & mhwd-kernel
  • pacman-mirrors & pacman
  • pamac
  • manjaro-chroot
3 Likes

The commands and info in this guide for when you can’t boot, super easy to do as a new to Linux user, if that’s the case. How to work with an unbootable Manjaro (black screen, login failed, cant boot, etc)

Learning how to use pacman to manage pkgs from the start will save lots of hassles in learning pains.

$ man pacman

2 Likes

Hi @AniketMandal, you just visited the best place on earth to learn about Linux :wink:

Commands…

Well, there are a lot of them, depending on the thing you are doing or the problem you’re facing. In Manjaro there are no problems, so don’t worry :innocent:
If I where you, I would start reading the forum. Lots of info here. How to keep your system up to date, what if it doesn’t boot anymore, etc…
And if you have a particular question, just ask and you will get the answer.
When I’ve started my journey with Linux, there was this link → Linux Essentials It helped me a lot.

**EDIT Ok, are you a new Linux user or a new Manjaro user? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Maybe I misunderstood your question

3 Likes

RTFM is a good one :rofl: I mean really you have to find out what you need when you need it - rather than going looking for stuff to do.

Boot your computer, think what you’re going to do, and if it isn’t obvious - then ask how other folks do it and take your pick.

CTRL+ALT T opens a terminal…

We use pamac in Manjaro, so look at that.
Yay is another ‘wrapper’ for the main Arch package manager ‘pacman’. You can get yay by doing pacman -S yay in terminal.

For upgrades, you can just type ‘yay’ or follow advice in the thread. I usually switch to TTY and do sudo pacman -Syu followed by ‘topgrade’.

Topgrade is a nice ‘upgrade everything’ wrapper which works well to catch anything missed on the pacman -Syu run. As it isn’t the official tool, I use it as a follower.

2 Likes

I highly recommend LinuxCommand.org’s “Learning the Shell” and “Writing Shell Scripts”. It will show you the fundamentals and provide you a strong foundation to build on. It is clearly written and not too long.

Also, The Linux Foundation offers a free course, Introduction to Linux, through edx.org.

What you’ll learn:

• A good working knowledge of Linux
  • How to navigate through major Linux distributions
  • System configurations and graphical interface of Linux
  • Basic command line operations
  • Common applications of Linux

As a standard, all commands have help in some form. You can view the help with the -h or --help option (cmd -h) or access the manual page with the man command. man page’s have their own format. The output is displayed in a pager, usually less. The man pages can also be viewed online, in html format, at many locations, for example Linux man pages online. Normally at a terminal you would type man bash (replace bash with any command) but you can also format the output to meet your needs.

• Create PDF doc from man: man -t bash | ps2pdf - bash.pdf
  • Create HTML doc from man: man --html=firefox bash
    NOTE: replace firefox with favorite browser
  • Create TEXT doc from man: man bash | col -b | kate -i
    NOTE: replace kate w/favorite editor.

The Core Utilities come from the GNU organization and they have documentation also online. You may also hear about info, another documentation system.

These days, because of systemd and desktop standards, you will hear a lot about freedesktop.org. There is a lot of doc to read there, but much of it is available via a man pages.

Tips on using less:
q - exit
/str - search for str forward
?str - search for str backward
n - next
g - top
G - bottom
h - help
arrow keys work
ctrl-c - escape

5 Likes