Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

Thanks for the kind reply. We might have met at some point. I think for me it started with a question on how to get my 56k modem to connect. I was told that if I did not already know how to do that I was a NOOB, and unworthy of even having Linux on my system! It all went down hill from there. But forums have gotten so much nicer and helpful since those bad old elitist days. I am actually posting this from my System 76 Darter running Manjaro! All dependencies were met, which is all I asked for back in the day.

2 Likes

Welcome to the old fart club the experienced users club!

(CP/M being the first OS I used to run on my side: 64K of RAM and we could do anything with it!)

:grin: :sauropod:

5 Likes

I don’t know my daughters, without proof mind you sometimes claim I am an old fart…

2 Likes

Got a Pine Phone and not familiar with this medium, please forgive me if I step out of line, but by all means let me Know.
(I assume the Red Reply icon below the right vertical bar is used to reply to specific posts?).

3 Likes

It is hard to remember all the things we could do on 64K or 128K of ram in those days! We overcame the limitations. I now have 32 gb, and have no idea what I am doing with that much memory…

Despite Coreboot, Manjaro Cinnamon is running super stable, and no issues so far from the System 76 hardware! This is amazing considering what a horrible experience I have had with this machine using other distros than Pop OS. Way to go Manjaro.

1 Like

I’m a 1959 model so I guess I fit into the old fart club as well.

2 Likes

That doesn’t exist! Didn’t you see?! It’s actually the experienced users club! :wink:

2 Likes

My name is Charlie Barkin.
I am from Manila Philippines.
An avid Manjaro user who like gnome and cinnamon desktop environment.
Been using Manjaro since 2020. And I begin to love it ever since.
I am also a cyclist, photographer, computer technician and a Linux enthusiast. I also do off grid solar power as a hobby.
I am so glad to be in this forum to learn more about Manjaro and make good use of it.

6 Likes

Hi everyone. I’m a relatively new Linux user. I’ve messed with it briefly in the past but I’ve never been to serious about it. However, now that I’m taking a Linux course (primarily focused on doing things from the CLI) as part of my university program, I figured I’d try and switch over to Manjaro from Windows as my daily driver OS. Excited to be a part of the forum and to gain more experience.

5 Likes

Thanks for the help, I cannot understand the rules or locations for posting, so I am leaving. But I really appreciate all the help, thank you so much.

2 Likes

Hi, every one. I have touch linux for almost three years. First a CD with uiix, That time I did not know how to install and use. First time use Ubuntu. Then Deepin (Install Debian failed). Last year get into Arch, it feels cool and Last month get to Manjaro (Deabin 11 and win as backup).

Make a better world to computer. :grinning:

4 Likes

Hello. I’ve been using Linux for several months. I tried Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Debian, and chose Manjaro KDE in the end.

Manjaro KDE Plasma looked so good and intuitive out of the box.

I was worried about using a rolling release, but I’ve had a very smooth experience with it.

The Manjaro forum is one of the two awesome Linux forums I used. Giving back to the Manjaro community is one of the reasons I donated and plan to donate again.

Another reason is that Manjaro is completely free. There’s no Manjaro Lite and Manjaro Premium. The goal doesn’t seem to be to make a profit. There are no telemetry scandals (that I know of). Manjaro, please stay like that.

8 Likes

Take it easy :wink:

Hello everyone!
I’m quite new to the linux scene (and a bit shy). I started with arch linux (probs not my greatest idea but it was fun) and then moved to manjaro after my arch install got nuked by windows. (trying to set up dual boot, lost 2 weeks of effort and progress :frowning: ) After loosing my arch install I didn’t want to go through the story of finding all the packages to get my install to work how i want it to so I looked around and found manjaro, which had all the benefits i wanted with less draw backs so I installed it. Now I have a manjaro windows dual boot set up, manjaro being my daily driver and windows being for vr and some windows games that don’t play well with proton.
Well I think thats all that is relivent… Looking forward to chatting with you! (When I’m not dieing from shyness)

10 Likes

Hello Everybody,
I’ve been using Manjaro for about four years. I think it is a great intro to Arch. It rarely gives me headaches which is a great improvement over ubuntu and debian distros which I had used previously.

7 Likes

Good day I installed Manjaro at the end of August and have really been enjoying the OS. I ran into my first real issue today and came into the forums to create a thread about it and seems I cannot. The only thing I seem to be able to do is post in threads that already exist. Can someone please look intio my settings and see what is going on? Thanks

3 Likes

I’ve been a Linux user since the time that you bought the installation floppy disks (before CD ROM drives were common. started with slakware. Used Suse, Red Hat, and KDE Neon, most recently OpenSuse Leap 15.3 (until an update borked my computer. So Ive now switched to Manjaro, and I’m loving it :+1:

7 Likes

Hello World :wink: ,
I have been using computers since 1979 (Synclair Z80, Comodore 64, Amiga). In 1989 I completed an apprenticeship in electrical engineering. During this training I got to know the Unix operating system and then privately in 1993 with the installation of Slackware I gained my first experience with the Linux kernel. Right from the start, the Linux user community helped me a lot and in a very friendly manner. As you can guess, I’m an old man now, live in a nursing home and have Parkinson’s disease. Nevertheless, I would like to try to share my experiences with others and hope to be useful to others.

Greatings

13 Likes

Hello everyone!!

Manjaro is my first Linux and some comments from other sources tell me the manjaro is great for beginners, and I never learn Linux before. Hopefully, I can learn some knowledge in this forum. BTW, I’m from Hong Kong.

8 Likes

Hi, I migrating from Windows to Linux as full time with Manjaro. I was frustrated using windows with it’s messed up privacy and meanwhile using Linux in virtaulbox for torrenting as I was afraid of viruses to do it on windows. I initially thought I would be using ubuntu and I did for a week or so. Then I heard about Arch linux honestly via the memes :sweat_smile:. After learning more about it I heard it’s a great disto to learn about linux and every Linux user at some point use it. But using such a powerful distro requires skills. Then I came across Manjaro that give Arch’s power and not cruel to noobs at the same time. Then I started using Manjaro in VM. I got amazed by linux. My experience was much smoother and more satisfying then windows. Manjaro takes half the ram that windows takes. And I noticed running Linux in VM was giving better performance than running windows on bare metal :exploding_head:. Hence switching to it forever. I love how open source ensures privacy.

3 Likes