Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

Hi Everyone,

I am Bdevn. Long story short I started my computing journey in 2007 with Windows XP and worked my way through to Windows 10 as a daily driver up until 3-4 years ago. I have done a great deal of Distro hopping since and had become a fan of Debian xfce with i3 on top for two reasons. I really like the tiling WMs and I have always had sub-standard hardware to work on until just this year.

I recently became the proud owner of an HP Omen (2017) and the difference in power and graphics was such a relief, I decided to try out Gnome once again as I had always appreciated the UI, even more so since the advent of the Pop!-shell. I have a Debian based install running on an nvme and am running Manjaro here on an SSD dual boot. Loving it so far!

I am new to Arch in general and like many (from my readings) chose Manjaro as my first install. Thanks for having me. I look forward to learning and growing with the Arch/Manjaro Community!!

~Bdevn

7 Likes

Hello everyone. I was a debian and debian flavor user since 2016 when only time I was effected by windows virus. used linux mint, debian, elementary, korora, ubuntu for quit sometime but linux mint and debian are the most used distros. I was using debian 10 for last 2 years and now I wanted the change as every ubuntu/debian user here did. I tried other flavors but in the end everyone followed debian, hence are old ones. so here I am at manjaro. Its quit hard for me to get to know package manager and building from AUR, but I hope I will get help from here.

I want help topics on how not to break the system and how to correctly build packages. Any link from here or any video will be good for me.

I am a web developer so the most important thing for me is to be stable rather to be more bleeding edge. thanks

4 Likes

Hi, I have just downloaded and am attempting to install Manjaro 21.12 KDE on my System 76 Darter Pro. I live in Texas close to San Antonio, and I am a very novice Linux user.

5 Likes

Hello, everyone,

my name is Mark from Cologne in Germany and I’ve been using various Linux distributions for a few years. I have already used Manjaro on Intel devices.

Now I would like to give the testing builds “Manjaro ARM” for the Raspberry Pi 4 a chance.

Best regards
Mark

4 Likes

Hello All,
I’m 62 years old, stopped the hop in 2017, joined the community in 2020, and never looked back. Everyone in the community from me and you to the developers and team members remind me of the way the “net” used to be. Filled with genuine people and meaningful, or at least fun commentary. Just thought I’d introduce myself and say that. Take care and all of you rock! So does Manjaro!

5 Likes

Hello, everyone! I’m River, a relatively new user to Linux. I jumped on the bandwagon starting with Ubuntu back in 2017 when I got my first computer. Since then, I’ve tried many other distros, including Debian, Linux Mint, Zorin, Solus, OpenSuse, Puppy Linux, Peppermint, and Arch before settling with Manjaro. I still use the Cinnamon Desktop Environment because it feels like Windows XP; despite Micro$oft being a rather ethically challenged company, I cannot let go of the simplicity of the classic, yet familiar layout. Lately I’ve been rocking a dark green theme, and I’ve been thinking of learning to rice to spice it up a bit more to fit my own desired style. It’s probably not a lie to say I know more than the average Windows user when it comes to working on your system, but I have a lot more to learn, and I’m happy to help out when and where I can!! I look forward to having meaningful and thought-provoking discussions here, and I hope we can grow as people and nerds (lol) together!

7 Likes

River: “I’m kind of new to Linux”
Also River: tries out more distros than some of the most hardcore Linux diehards

:grin:

Welcome aboard! :wave: :sailboat:

3 Likes

This is good to see! I think a bridge (i.e, “matray”) from the desktop session to the online community is a great way to encourage new users (and lurkers alike!) to engage in the forum.

:v:

1 Like

Hey all, I’m del.

I’m pretty new to Linux in general. About a decade ago I had a brief stint using Mint and tried a few other distros but eventually had to switch back to Windows for University. Only recently made the leap back into Linux when I picked up a Raspberry Pi.

My main computer runs Ubuntu while my work computer is a RPi 4 with Manjaro (KDE Plasma) on it. I’m loving it so much, I’ll probably change my main computer over as well! I live and work in China, which seems to be much friendlier to Arch than Debian. Debian often fails updates or parts of updates, while I’ve had a lot more luck with Arch.

I’m interested to see what Manjaro can do, particularly on the Raspberry Pi. Happy to be here.

6 Likes

Hello all,

I have used debian and ubuntu in the past. Years back I got into micro controller projects using arduino. I dabbled in linux for a short stint. As my 2013 macBook Pro has aged I’ve decided give it new life with manjaro. I now use my laptop primarily for editing photos. I have forgotten most of what I have learned in linux by now but look forward to getting back into it.

Thanks.

6 Likes

This is a good place to be, since much has changed.

This is a better place to be, Just keep your mind open and stay curios.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone!
I am a new Linux user. I have been using windows for 15 years and I heard about Linux and I watched some videos about Linux how to install and what distro could i download I tried a lot of distros but manjaro is the best of them I was using manjaro with windows now I fully use manjaro I still know a little not advanced just one month experience but loved this and I want to learn a lot

5 Likes

Hi, I’m ‘taka sun’. I tested manjaro and it has lasted almost 2 years. I use BodhiOS dual boots with Moksa desktop environment and Manjaro OS for gaming. Main distro when using os, and sometimes back to Windows 3.1(Before coming Windows NT), BeOS(After manufacture intelx86 200x) using PCem.
I’m a manjaro user because it’s better in security, privacy, and more. If you have ideas for other distros, please post them here!

5 Likes

The members of this community keep 100s of Km of distance at a minimum instead of the standard :finland: 2m at a bus stop???

:grin:

3 Likes

Welcome, our friend in THU!

3 Likes

It’s coming up to my 1st anniversary as a Manjaro user (2nd as a Linux user) so it’s about time I said a huge THANK YOU to everyone involved in this amazing OS.

6 Likes

I’m old. I have been around for 61 years now and feel it every day. I remember when computers were what were called “mainframes” running Unix or VMS operating systems. Then after college while I was in the Army in the 1980’s I purchased by first computer; and IBM PCjr with 128 K of ram a CGA card, and a single 360k floppy running IBM DOS 2.1. Later in 1988 I upgraded to a Zenith Z-150 with 640k ram, dual floppy drives, a 20 MB hard drive (second hand), and an EGA card running a NEC V20 chip and MS DOS 3.3 then later 6. In later years I went to a 386 SX/25 Packard Bell with Windows 3.1. This machine later was exchanged for a custom computer built for me by a buddy with a Cyrix 166 chip. The Cyrix became my first Linux computer.

I saw a review of this operating system called Linux in a computer magazine (I think it was Byte), which made me excited. I remember that I went into either CompUSA, or Businessland and saw a BOXED copy of this Linux called Mandrake. I think it was either Mandrake 7.0 or 7.1 and it was in 2000/2001. The box came with CDs, and books! I installed it, and wow, it was amazing. I never got CUPs running, never was able to really use it to connect my 56k modem to the internet, but it was AMAZING. It had multiple desktop environments and Window managers which YOU COULD CHOOSE! I was on AT&T Worldnet at the time and as is my usual practice I got on forums, researched, and tried to get familiar with Linux over Windows. I learned that there was this community out there that used Linux!!! I joined full of naive hopes and expectations to be warmly greeted and given a major chance to LEARN!

There were the uber cool Slackware guys who ruled the world because they could DO IT! Then there were the Red Hat guys who had a holy war against the Debian guys, and had a bit of an inferiority complex because the Debian guys had “APT”. The Debian people were arrogant self assured guys who knew that they were the “L33t H@x0rz” of the Linux world, because APT took care of dependencies (sort of). There were the SUSE guys, and then there were the Mandrake guys. All the others looked down on us because we were using a “kiddy distro”. I got on forums, and kept asking a question such as why do we have to deal with dependencies, why can we not have like Windows so that all the dependencies are packaged so that you load and go? I also asked why could we not have GUI tools to do what was done in the command line? I was excoriated, I have told that if I cannot hack it by finding and installing dependencies from the command line then I needed to leave, and never come back! I was not worthy to lick the dirty floors they walked upon! How dare I! I was called all sorts of names, told that I needed to get a life, etc, etc. then I was banned from two forums (neither still around). I was turned off my the sheer vitriol and elitism I had encountered. I was asking what I thought were good questions, and felt attacked like I have never been before. I have never seen a more toxic elitist community in all my days.

I re-formatted my hard drive, and knocked the dust of Linux from the heels of my shoes. I had been turned off and doubted that Linux was going to survive. I threw the Mandrake disk, books and box in the trash, and swore I was henceforth a Windows user, nay a Windows evangelist! By this time I had a wife, kids, a mortgage, bills, and life. Life got in the way of me doing much of anything other than installing the latest version of Windows and getting to play a little game every now and then. I would upgrade computers over the years, but I recalled my holy oath, Never more for Linux, WIndows FOREVER! But there was something that kept whispering to me, reminding me of that really neat Mandrake Linux experience. No! No! I’ll never go back! Well after much life happened, and I got to the point where I could afford to get more than one computer for me, I started having this vague feeling that there was something better than Windows 7. In late 2014 I decided to install this new thing called Ubuntu 16.04. I was expecting pain, pain and suffering.

Hey, it was pretty neat, ok this is kind of nice, but I loathed Unity/Gnome as a desktop. But darn, things started working and it was not painful. WOW AMAZING! You go to the software center and download software AND ALL THE DEPENDENCIES WERE SATISIFIED!!! What I had asked for 15 years prior and was told would never happen in Linux, Command Line Forever, no wimpy dependency resolution! Played with Ubuntu for a bit, but it was never really what I wanted. Then I discovered Mint 17.3. Ever since that date I have had at least one computer that has nothing but Linux. I have been a Mint user since 2016. In 2016 as well I finally was able to do something I had always wanted to do, which is purchase a Macbook Pro. I had wanted one from the first time I had ever seen the original Mac back in 1985. Full disclosure, the Mac sits in the drawer of the desk and I use it at most a couple of times a year. I should never have wasted my money. Oh well a man needs toys, right…

Then I kept trying, using cast off laptops from the spouse-unit and the kids. I was having fun. I still kept my desktop for Windows (gaming/photoshop/iTunes). In 2019 I stopped using re-purposed HP laptops and purchased a System 76 Darter Pro, stuck 32gb of Ram in it, and a 500gb drive. Hated, and I mean Hated Pop OS Gnome. It just was not Mint. The more I played with Gnome, the more I loathed it. I have never used an Arch based distro, and was always intimidated by the concept of Arch since I am a VERY newbie user.

Installed Mint 18.3, and problems! No WiFi, no keyboard lights, lots of issues. Well I discovered that the Coreboot firmware just will not work well (if at all) with anything other than a 5.4+ Kernel. Installed Mint 19, updated the kernel to 5.4 and things worked better. Two trips back to System 76 to fix issues (their firmware bricked the system!), I finally got it back. I was going through a really rough patch in RL, so the Spouse-Unit and kids bought me a Lemur Pro from them.

Best.Laptop.I.Have.Owned.Ever.

I decided that the Darter Pro would become a testing machine. But I stayed with the Debian based distros again due to the intimidation factor of Arch and discovered Coreboot on this laptop will not allow any 4.xx series kernel distro to work. Also MX Linux will not work at all either. It really wants their own POP OS. I managed to get Manjaro 21.12 up and running in Cinnimon which is my preferred desktop environment. The Darter Pro with the Generation one coreboot firmware really, really wants a later kernel. I have 5.14 running now, and so far so good.

So either this weekend or next I am going to do battle and try and get Manjaro running on the Darter Pro. I refuse to have my Newbie self defeated! With both my daughters in college, and my wife and I getting close to retirement, I have also been the main tech support person for my house. Right now I support multiple Windows Laptops (the spouse-unit, oldest daughter (2 one a gaming laptop), youngest daughter (2 laptops- don’t ask…), two Windows desktop computers (both Ryzen), one Intel Nuc, one Macbook Pro (2015), and three System 76 Linux systems.

Why don’t you just put Linux on all the laptops and be done with it you ask? I shall tell you the tale of woe. The Spouse-Unit’s laptop went down once, and before I could get her a new one, she needed to use a laptop to do some things. I gave her my System 76 Darter Pro which had Mint installed, and she freaked. Her head travelled 360 degrees, she spoke in a spooky voice, her eyes bugged out, claws extended, and she just flat refused to have anything to do with “the weird operating system”.

My daughters had a similar response. The oldest told me; “Dad Linux is for geeks, and those odd kids in high school! You can’t do any real work with it, and it does not run Microsoft Office!”. My youngest was of a similar opinion, but she kept finding reasons to use my Lemur Pro, she was banned after I found donut sugar flakes on the keyboard. The wife refuses to understand technology, she wants it to just work like the stove or blender, she does not want to have to think about things. She wants to turn it on, and for things to work the way they always have worked. My 84 year old father uses Mint Linux, but he thinks he is using Windows XP which in his opinion is the last of the “good” windows versions. My brothers and I got him a laptop years ago, and it had Windows 7, and he refused to use it. He was still using XP on his desktop. So I made a deal with my brothers, I would get Mint on his system, and skin it to look like XP. We gave him the new laptop with “Windows XP” on it and he has been happy. We are going to replace it with another one this year, and I will once again put “Windows XP” on it.

So that has been my adventure in Linux and Daddy Tech Support. I look forward to learning Manjaro so that I can expand my Linux knowledge and giving me something to keep busy with when I retire next May.

19 Likes

Welcome to another 60+ - 1960 is a good vintage.

Part of using Linux is to investigate hardware compatibility - and avoid the no-good-only-for-windows hardware if at all possible.

My first contact with computers was punch-card and rolls of paper with programming as holes.

Yet it took another 15 years to get back into computers and programming and another 25 to get to Linux.

5 Likes

I remember punch cards! We used them in my basic computer class. Punch your cards, give them to the priests and acolytes of the machine, and pray you got things right. Those were the days of frustration!

I absolutely love these types of stories! I copy them and save them as PDFs in a little collection on my NAS server for posterity. :relaxed:

Thank you so much for sharing. I enjoyed reading every word, and had a good chuckle along the way. :grin:

Surely we must have crossed paths in such forums, and per chance IRC chat rooms? While I don’t have as rich a history as yours, and I don’t consider Mandrake my first distro (even though “technically” it was), I ran into the same meanspirited personal assaults trying to get Mandrake to simply play audio.

I was willing to learn, and even had to resort to compiling the kernel with customizations, even though I had no clue what I was doing! In one chat room there was an operator (i.e, a “moderator”) who said the problems I’m facing are probably because I live in a household of smokers, and the soot can damage my audio card. (It’s not true, but that’s besides the point.) Other users came to this mod’s defense and joined in their ridicule against me.

Boy, oh boy, did I lash out at them! My potty-mouth took the reins and got me banned. I wanted nothing to do with Linux nor their elitist community ever again! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I scurried back to Windows like a scared and scorned mouse that barely escaped the traumatic snap of a deadly trap.

My real Linux journey began with openSUSE in which I was luckily met with much friendlier users, so I decided to give this Linux thing another chance. From that point forwards, it was Linux all the way (sans for gaming), and here I am now, enjoying Manjaro and helping others. :heart:

2 Likes