Weird shutdown and error messages(following latest update)

as a few others here i get some errors during shutdown.
mine are a bit different:

sd-umount: Failed to unmount /oldroot: Device or resource busy
sd-umount: Failed to unmount /oldroot/sys: Device or resource busy
shutdown[1]: Failed to finalize file system, ignoring.
reboot: Power down

i used to get similar errors which disappeared some time ago.
they are quit common and most likely related to Nvidia,and i used to see them sometime in the shutdown process.
now the errors are a bit different and the shutdown process too;
after the 30 sec countdown after clicking Shutdown,nothing happens,i can see my desktop,then these errors, and then it shuts down.
no manufacturer logo, no usual shutdown process as before.

1 Like

Have you tried what is described here?

It was supposed to be a systemd bug, a bug report has been filed,

but they claimed it’s not caused by systemd.

1 Like

it looks identical to this post

maybe a MOD can merge the threads.

I had the same issue on my system, this bug was fixed few month ago and is introduced again with last stable update.

1 Like

at least it’s not just me.
how does your shutdown process looks like?;the same as what i described?

Yes, its almost the same but i think you forget some numbers:

sd-umount[1664]: Failed to unmount /oldroot: Device or resource busy
sd-umount[1665]: Failed to unmount /oldroot/sys: Device or resource busy
shutdown[1]: Failed to finalize file system, ignoring.
1 Like

i have a bunch of numbers before “sd-unmount” but i was copying it from a picture i took, so i skipped them.

Do you have the exact same numbers as me?
I also have a shutdown error that leads to a system restart instead of a shutdown.

There is really alot going on with the newest update.

no,we have different PCs, and mine looks more like this(which is from the thread i linked above)

that’s a real issue.

1 Like

Yeah i had to shutdown my system 5 times in a row to archive a successfull shutdown :crazy_face:

Your picture shows another part that i don’t have… i also try to capture it with my camera but no success yet. Im totally miss the first line from your screen: /dev/nvme… this first line/message is totally skipped on my side.

It looks that this issue is related to your nvme drive, im using a external usb sdd for linux. Do you have Manjaro installed on your nvme?

1 Like

i don’t have it either.

huh? but you just posted a screenshot… is the screenshot just copy paste from another tread?

yes,i linked it above.

Nice to know I am not the only one, I even did a fresh install to see if that would fix it, nope, thanks for linking to my post as well!

I noticed it might be something to do with nvidia, but cant tell 100%

2 Likes

I have a 1 year old tread where i had posted this error, my own screenshot also included:

1 Like

as mentioned above,it was quit common(many threads around the internet about it)and got fixed.
it was harmless,so i ignored it.
now it came back, but it makes my shutdown act weird,so I’m more concerned.

Another one just openend a tread with the exact same issue:

1 Like

I also had a little “workaround” to reduce wait time for shutdown, i think this error introduced the shutdown delay, in this case…:

editing /etc/systemd/system.conf as root, and search for these two lines:

#DefaultTimeoutStartSec=90s
#DefaultTimeoutStopSec=90s

Change it to this:

DefaultTimeoutStartSec=10s
DefaultTimeoutStopSec=10s

and save the file. This Modification doesn’t fix the error, its only reduced the shutdown/restart timer from 90sec to 10sec.

a possible solution back then(since it was first reported years ago),was to add shutdown to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf , but the Arch developers said that the shutdown hook is a deprecated method and shouldn’t be used.
it might still be a solution,but i prefer to wait for an upstream fix.
more info here:

1 Like

Cross posting : Updated system, and now every shutdown an error message keeps popping up. error (sd-umount: Failed to unmount /oldroot) - #14 by Dragon20C