We (may) now know the real reason for that IBM takeover. A distraction for Red Hat to axe KDE

kde
other-distros

@Shrinivas17081997
,for kde to work well distro need to be rolling as kde is very actively developed.

Not sure if I agree with that, I mean the problem in Fedora wasn’t KDE software itself;it was not buggy, (except for discover) and was frequently updated; but that it was poorly curated.

It was almost the equivalent of doing dnf install kde* plasma* and calling it a distro.

LOLOL! That’s basically what I do when I plop it down ontop an Arch base…add in a little kate, konsole, dolphin, and poof! ready to go. :smiley: (You can do about the same with the M-A IS.)

it is that i found kde on rolling distro more proper and well configured than the point release distros.it might be my biased view about point release but thats how i feel after trying many distros.may be its like only i feel this way.

triggered

how can you do that! I did the opposite on Fedora, I removed as much as I can, in the end I used minimal installs and did added just what I needed.

I don’t care about the smaller apps like Kcolorchooser and all that since they are handy and disk space is cheap, but Akonadi pulling a mariadb server OMG!

That may be, from an observational standpoint. Do rolling distros tend to follow the KISS principle and let users pack on the applications; whereas point-releases need to come-with more? I dunno. Somebody would need to do a survey to really establish that as factual.

The “plasma” group (in Arch) is only 42 (44) packages Plasma

If you add the kde-applications group, then you’re loaded fer bear. :wink:

whereas point-releases need to come-with more? I dunno. Somebody would need to do a survey to really establish that as factual.

I think honestly it comes from dedication and common sense, Fedora KDE ships 3 browsers! Falkon, Firefox and Konqueror. According to what I have read for some reason the maintainers think that Fedora KDE should be a showcase for all Kde applications.

Yesterday I tried KDE Neon on a VM and is pretty bare bones, it only ships Firefox and some other essential stuff. and it’s the official KDE distro :man_shrugging:

@spooky, Plasma in Fedora–even GNOME almost-- in Fedora, is almost as new to me as Linux is to a lifetime Windows user. But Silverblue has my attention, so I’mma tryin’. :smiley:

silverblue definitely seems interesting, haven’t tried it because dunno if it’s is ready for everyday work.

For work, pretty much. It’s not a play desktop, however.

Funded a DE, you on drugs or something :rofl:

Well redhat did back gnome so yes its a thing

Code contributions is different from funding and yes Red hat supports it since it is the default DE for Fedora.

And the money SUSE put into KDE?

Feel free to bring up sources.

The KDE website sources them as a patron (and a patron can involve money)
Canonical, google and blue systems are also listed too as patrons so yes it is probably funded by backers.

https://www.kde.org/
Bottom of the page.

When Novell bought SuSE and created the corporate SUSE, the very first thing they did was switch the focus to GNOME.

Dunno where they’re at now, though…

The Neon Developers claim they are not the official KDE Distro. In fact, they even try to claim they are not a distro at all.

The Neon Developers claim they are not the official KDE Distro. In

TIL, I think I got confused by the look of their page, it looks very “official”

not a distro at all.

whaaaaaaaat?