We (may) now know the real reason for that IBM takeover. A distraction for Red Hat to axe KDE

kde
other-distros

RHEL Dumps KDE

– Okay, we need to stop supporting KDE.
– But people will surely complain, we’ll need to do something to distract them.
– Then what about improving our partnership with IBM? We’ve been working for some time now.
– How do you suggest we improving that even more than did up to today?
– Let them buy us.
– … Brilliant!

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

RED herrings everywhere … The GREEN horses must be very pleased.

Yeah why use KDE a good desktop when you can use the iphone wannabie piece of ■■■■ huh?
Glad rehat got bought out then :smiley:

KDE is not and will not be Enterprise ready or friendly pretty much ever. There are plenty of reasons explained in other threads. It is a fantastic desktop for personal use, or even for smaller creative businesses, or individual developers. Deployment at scale, and then supporting KDE at scale has to be an absolute nightmare.

And gnome is the answer?
No way, redhat could have funded alternatives like MATE or even Cinnamon.
Or even KDE to help stabilise it, but no Redhat elected on supporting the windows 8 of linux DE’s.

I guess all you want to do is rant about why is it not according to your preference. Redhat made the informed Enterprise centric decision. If you want to understand please look around, if you just want to rant please feel free to carry on. Gnome is the only DE close to ready for Enterprise, that is not an opinion, but a fact. RHEL deprecating KDE is just the punctuation on that sentence. Deal with it.

How? its certainly not memory consumption, or stability as gnome shell has had issues with that in the past.
Oh wait its the lack of features right, that every 10 seconds a crazed madman in the gnome developers decided that something that looks good and works like a normal desktop is the work of the dark one and must be removed at all costs in the holy name of Grkliptg! Desktop icons begone! more settings for window scaling away with you!
The great Grkliptg has spoken, ftagn!

Again why not use XFCE if its a memory or stability thing?

I guess you are just here to rant. Hate to quote myself but this is why Gnome is th ebest choice for Enterprise:

Easy to lock down user configuration. In fact it comes out of the box pretty much locked down.
Consistent design.
Tight integration with underlying systems.
Stable.
Functional PIM with excellent MS Exchange Integration.
Visual consistency across platforms.
Easier to train personnel to use and maintain.
Better integration with online accounts.
Simpler to use.
Tied at the hip to Redhat the industry leader in Enterprise Linux.
Better search functions.
Easier to use application bundle.
Larger eco-system.
Better supported.

Gnome does not need you to like it. It simply is what it is. Clearly you are not its target audience, and very clearly the target audience it wants has chosen it over all others. The reasons given are jus tthe tip of the iceberg.

The biggest lie next to I have a octopus in my shoes or Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus

Discussion or rant. Clearly a rant, do you have anything remotely relevant to add to the conversation or are you going to continue taking it personally that your desktop choices, are your desktop choices, not the choices Enterpise Distros are making.

Well just because redhat backed it doesnt make it right.
And really the enterprise could have had more options if redhat didnt set their eggs in one basket.

Redhat, Ubuntu, OpenSuse. It makes it right for Enterprise. Gnome is what they want. They want it for their use and purpose. It has been designed that way from the beginning of Gnome 3. KDE is what many home users want. Try to separate the two. KDE cannot even handle samba shares gracefully, and no one tried fixing it for years. Kontact MS Exchange integration is a mess. Those two points alone remove it from consideration.

To be honest I had started using Fedora KDE before installing Manjaro and Arch. And even though it was clear that it worked well you could tell the spin was miles behind the Workstation edition. Tons of redundant Kapps installed clearly not curated, discover hardly functioning, etc.

So it was pretty clear it was a second class citizen, and this doesn’t come as a big surprise. Still this is RHEL, so they will provide what their enterprise customers want, and less is more in this case (they can focus on businesses needs).

LOL! I was just about to create a new topic and post that link but I’m just too old & slow I guess. :smiley:

My take–and I agree with @nadb completely–is that it’s a smart corporate move on Red Hat’s part. It certainly hasn’t hurt their stock price. NYSE: RHT

But I also think this does not bode well for KDE in the development area. Red Hat, hence Fedora, is such a major player in Linux system development that I can’t help but think prior to this announcement, everything that was developed by them for the GNOME DE also had to be compatible and usable in KDE, even if somewhat delayed (libinput, et al).

So with no more need to support KDE in future Red Hat versions, is there going to be a de-emphasis on KDE in Fedora, as well? And how will these decisions impact future compatibility between these two major DEs, filesystems, and Applications?

regards

Was Redhat actually contributing much to KDE? it always felt to me like it was an aftertought that they had it as an option because well, it’s KDE ( actually Plasma but whatever…)

I do not know. But since KDE is an officially supported Fedora spin and Red Hat desktop, what worked in Fedora GNOME had to also work in Fedora Plasma, right? :smiley:

Fedora GNOME had to also work in Fedora Plasma,

hard to say, there were tons of things that weren’t perfect on the KDE spin, I always felt (as a user) that the only products promoted on the homepage were the ones that they really cared about when doing a release (Workstation, Atomic, Server), the others were mostly a collection of packages.

I might be wrong…

only some distro has good kde configurations 1 opensuse 2 arch/manjaro 3 kaos other are not implementing it that good,for kde to work well distro need to be rolling as kde is very actively developed.

Nah, not at all–and I’m a new Fedora user, but not new to Linux, so I do follow the news, Fake or not. :wink:

But hanging around the forums, reddit, etc., their KDE followers are a pretty ‘vocal’ crowd, so even though ti appears to me that KDE might have not had Fedora’s full attention, the KDE portion of their Community has certainly stepped-up.

But who knows? KDE’s development wing just got a largish cash-injection recently, didn’t they?

regards