Wayland on Plasma 5.27

That’s cool and stuff and I know it, however 2 finger swipes are meant to trigger horizontal scrolling, anything else is counter-productive. And that feature has nothing to do with Google Chrome and, most importantly, Dolphin and Konsole.
I stick to X.

Did you try it with touche? Desktop gestures don’t work on Wayland, but app gestures do. So my pinch in/out gestures are all right. Maybe there is a way to set them for next/previous page in a browser two? You need to avoid 3 and 4 finger swipes thou, those are already defined in Wayland, so it’s really tricky to find out something else.

I wasn’t aware that the swipe gestures work on X11… :wink:

Well there’s a couple of third-party tools that add this functionality. Like libinput-gestures or touchegg. But when one uses Wayland, Plasma’s hardcoded gestures interfere with those solutions causing worse experience. You ether have both actions triggered or the primary (provided by Plasma) only. That’s why it’s better to have a toggle to switch them off while they are not configurable (ATM).

1 Like

The non-configurable gestures is the main showstopper for me as well. If they at least could have left us the possibility to turn the default ones off, but maybe it’s not that easy as turning them off would make libinput magically work again.

Sounds like you are referring to touch devices.

I use Plasma and Wayland on desktop and I have zero problems.

Actually - all my prejudices about KDE and Plasma have been put to shame - I am totally overwhelmed how well it works.

Initially I started experimenting with kwin on lxqt - as lxqt has no preference for the window manager - and one package took the other and now I am rolling a slimmed down plasma using Manjaro Plasma minimal ISO.

Current hwinfo: http://ix.io/4jFi

2 Likes

Having done some experiments myself, it is. If you use libinput-gestures and set it to a gesture that Plasma uses, then both gestures will activate simultaneously. And it is as easy as turning them off, I was able to locate a single-digit number of lines of code in the Kwin source that control whether the gestures are on or off. I’m just not adventurous enough to compile and use my own fork of Plasma :sweat_smile:

In case of pad, I didn’t notice any issues aside when you have an animation added in touchegg and in Wayland this gestures won’t work. The effect is that you get animation alone or animation not matching the effect. That’s it. Animation is not necessary, so you can always turn it off.
So basically all defined desktop gestures on touche are replaced with defined in Wayland, while app gestures still work.

For me, touché works much better than libinputy-gestures, although the mechanics seems to be the same, but I might be wrong about that.

I’ve been using Wayland about a month, and yesterday I experienced my first Kwin/Wayland spontaneous crash, so that can happen, sadly. It’s too random to know what triggered it, so I won’t report a bug.

Forget what I’ve said before about zoom

1. Uninstall any copy you have
  2. flatpak install us.zoom.Zoom
  3. Open zoom once, then close it
  4. kate ~/.var/app/us.zoom.Zoom/config/zoomus.conf
  5. switch enableWaylandShare=true
  6. Relaunch Zoom

It will now work flawlessly, non flatpak versions do not work by the way

1 Like

I followed the instruction and:

1. In the first start it did tell me to restart and add the value you provided above, but when I went to ~/.var/app/us.zoom.Zoom/config/zoomus.conf it already had “enableWaylandShare=true”
  2. When I clicked on share screen, I got exactly the same info above that it only works on Gnome.
  3. Flatpack version has automatically allowed to save files to Documents, although I don’t have such folder in my language version, so it’s creating it every time I launch Zoom. This is incredibly annoying, and I can’t change it or switch it to a different folder.

Looks like flatpack works in the same way as the AUR version, has the same limitations and has additional annoying features, that AUR version doesn’t have :frowning: .

New development in Wayland camp!

XWayland bridge was created to ensure screen sharing options in Wayland for XWayland apps even if they don’t support Wayland screensharing just yet. I tested it on Zoom and in flatpack verision doesn’t work, but with AUR version worked like a charm. I could choose my sharing window without a problem.

See the info:

https://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/xwaylandvideobridge/

It’s possible it will be integrated with the system, but for now it’s only available in flatpack version. So what you need to do is to go to this site and download the flatpack file:

Have Discover installed. Double click on a file, a Discover will open with option to install it. After it is done, copy the .desktop file from

/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.kde.xwaylandvideobridge/current/active/export/share/applications/org.kde.xwaylandvideobridge.desktop

to your

~/.config/autostart/

Since this is in early development and not available through flathub or any official repo, you need to check for updates manually. At some point it probably will be available through AUR and then later as an official package or will be eventually integrated with system packages.

It looks like the biggest Wayland issues have been addressed: in Plasma 6 windows will recover after a compositor crash/restart and screen sharing has a bridge till native solutions won’t be developed in various apps.

1 Like

Recently, I got another issue on Wayland, the one that is actually preventing me to use Wayland for work. Namely, clipboard for Libre Office is not working correctly (you can’t paste unformatted text). On X11 it’s fine.

I am on KDE/Wayland and have no issues with copy&paste in LO Writer.
I am running Manjaro with the latest pkg updates.

1 Like

Plain pasting works. The issue is when you want to paste without formatting. Can you copy some paragraph from the page and copy it to Writer by using ctrl+shift? Choose “unformatted text”.
Thanks

Recently I discovered that WPS office barely works when trying to use Excel-specific formulae under Wayland session. I had almost settled with Wayland prior to that but gave up on it very soon, unfortunately we’re likely to face such issues here and there for a while. Now I am wondering how many times I had those during my 2-month Wayland ride thinking “ah Unstable branch might be be buggy after all”. Still a long way to go, still not ready for production.
No doubt it will be great eventually, but no one knows when…

Hello! I am a user of KDE and I know another reason for chosing Wayland: I use two screens for my desktop. Wayland makes it much much better than X11. If my session suspends for time without using, when I am back, in X11 the screen is a nightmare: all windows are in a different place, different screen… and even sometimes the system seems to be crazy, and I need to switch it off. It does not happen under Wayland. But, on the other hand, there are those other problems. For me, it is very important to work with my two screens. And, as it is a desktop and not a laptop, I am not concerned about gestures or so; but it is important for me the subject of Zoom and similars.

2 Likes

When I try to paste formatted text into LO Writer using CTRL-SHIFT-V, and then select “unformatted text”, I get the error message “Requested clipboard format is not available.”. I can, however, paste plain text using CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-V. So I guess, it’s not working 100% like on X11, but the functionality is available. Not sure how this behaves on other Wayland DEs like GNOME. Could be an issue in LO, KDE Wayland or maybe even Manjaro, although the latter seems unlikely.

This seems to be confirmed on other distros as well. In the bug report I created, someone said that there is some clipboard corruption and LO cannot access it. Whatever the reason is, no one seems to be working on it so far :frowning:

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=156562

It’s great that you created a bug report for this :slight_smile:
Hopefully somebody will look at it eventually. In the mean time, you can use CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-V to work around the issue, if lack of pasting plain text in LO is the only thing keeping you from switching to wayland.

1 Like

Thanks. Didn’t know this existed. I currently switched to flatpack version, which doesn’t have this bug, and it looks like there are no small quirks that I experienced before like “auto column width not working when double-clicking the inter-line” and some more.