Linux Kernel 5.19.12 can damage Intel laptops display

Quoted from Phoronix:

Intel laptop users running Linux are being advised to avoid running the latest Linux 5.19.12 stable kernel point release as it can potentially damage your display.

Intel Linux laptop users on Linux 5.19.12 have begun reporting “white flashing” display issues with one user describing it as “[the] laptop display starts to blink like lights in a 90’s rave party.”

Intel Linux kernel engineer Ville Syrjäl posted today on the kernel mailing list:

After looking at some logs we do end up with potentially bogus panel power sequencing delays, which may harm the LCD panel.

Greg, I recommend immediate revert of this stuff, and new stable release ASAP. Plus a recommendation that no one using laptops with Intel GPUs run 5.19.12.

Greg Kroah-Hartman has immediately released Linux 5.19.13 with the problematic Intel graphics driver patches reverted.

Greg commented, “This release is to resolve a regression on some Intel graphics systems that had problems with 5.19.12. If you do not have this problem with 5.19.12, there is no need to upgrade.

We don’t have 5.19.12 anywhere.

Currently its 5.19.7 in stable branch and 5.19.13 in testing and unstable.

3 Likes

Yeah I know, it’s just an information I read on some sites and thought it could help the team to avoid that problem, because may be next unstable/testing will get that kernel version.

It won’t, since 5.19.13 is already there. 5.19.12 was in unstable/testing for a short time, but it was updated immediately when 5.19.13 was released.

1 Like

So it’s okay, I’m on stable branch and I tought that testing/unstable is still on 5.19.11/8 based on previous annoncements, Thanks :slight_smile:

Latest testing announcement already mentioned this, see

and

2 Likes