WARNING: after latest update [23/01/2019] my computer won't start anymore!

update

Answer: error: you cannot perform this operation unless you are root.

Yes; I’m not an expert. :slight_smile:

Type

sudo pacman -Syyuu

When prompted for a password, type

manjaro

and press the Enter key. Note that no characters will be displayed as you type the password.

This command seems to work. Now there is the following question: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] What should I do?

Simply press the Enter key. The uppercase Y in [Y/n] tells you that Y (yes) is the default response.

I did. manjaro-gnome-setting-18.0 an majaro-gnome-settings-17.0 are in conflict. Strange is that I never downlaoded the ISO for 17.0 only 18.0 a couple of months ago. How is this possible?

Better get a new ISO? Thanks for helping me.

You should be fine with the old ISO. It’s possible that some of our confusion has been because your old ISO uses an old version of manjaro-chroot. Still, the upgrade should work correctly.

You might want to download a new ISO to have on hand in case this situation arises again in the future. Honestly, though, this situation arises with Manjaro very rarely. It happened this time because there was the need for users to downgrade a package, using the special version of the pacman command. Unfortunately, users who didn’t first read and follow the instructions in the upgrade announcement experienced problems.

You’re welcome.

1. I got the new ISO; 2 openend the termina; 3 typed sudo pacman -Syyuu 4 computer started a procedure; 5 started computer again; 6 the same faillure. What’s wrong?

I’m not able to use my computer at the moment. Only boot from the USB. What’s wrong?

You didn’t do tha chroot part. You just upgraded the Live-USB environment

Yes indeed! This is the missing part. Followed other instruction (EXIT). And computer works again. THANKS! Super :slight_smile:

mad

Now that everything works again, may be time for some tips:

• 1 - ALWAYS read announcements for the update. This will save you some headache. It is price to pay, to have the latest shiniest/rolling distro. You will have to be a little bit active with Manjaro. If you want less involvement, (but not the latest software) check out also MX Linux.

• 2 - DONT RUSH with the updates. Wait a day, let other first test the update for you, wait until some 100 users vote for the update. Check the update pool, (it is in first update post) and look at percentage of problems / no problems. If there are more problems than usually, wait longer with updating your system. And read what other users experienced and what was solution. Learn from other members problems, let others troubleshoot for you. I still didn’t update. I’m first reading what happened. In this case, you troubleshoot this update for me, which I’m grateful for and thank you for :wink: In future you may want to be in my shoes, instead of leading the update research :slight_smile: Oh and more there are problems, more is in your interest that you make some kind of a backup before the update. Just to be on a safe side. A month or so ago, I could not recover my system and I had to restore it from backup I created with clonezilla.

• 3 - In one of the earlier posts @papajoke posted the link to my guide, how to try to access the system when you can’t boot properly into it. You now know how to access it from live USB, congratulations! Sometimes you may have a problem with graphical interface (GUI) but your system will otherwise boot OK. In that case you don’t need to access to your system through live media, all you would need is simple switch top TTY. My suggestion is, that you are now getting ready for future potential problems that my happen. Check that link I mentioned and try step one few times and also step two. That way you will be ready for potential problem in the future. (step 3 you already mastered today) You really want to be familiar with first 3 steps.

Ah, and stop being angry, life is too short for this :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@stephane Already told you.

1. Prepare a bootable USB stick

2. Boot from the USB stick

3. Connect to the internet

4. Launch a terminal

5. Type into the terminal manjaro-chroot -a

6. Type into terminal Sudo pacman -Syyuu

7. Type into terminal exit

8. Reboot system, and you should have your install back!

Resume error, hibernation device not found
[SOLVED] Boot fails after recent update w/ libidn2 not found error
Dropped into emergency shell without keyboard access due to a failed hibernation
Cannot boot beyond the login screen
System won't boot after update Error hibernation device
split this topic #35

6 posts were split to a new topic: Update: cannot retrieve file

Also check that your /etc/resolv.conf is okay. It sounds you are not connected to the Internet

I think I am, but what should I check exactly ?

Try:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 10 
sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -Syyuu

ah indeed, I get ::INFO Internet connection appears to be down But still I can browse on the internet, and use ssh from the terminal… Should I do something with this resolv.conf ?

cat /etc/resolv.conf