Wanted to Try XFCE-gtk3/4.13 But Everything is Outdated, am I Missing Something?

Followed installation instructions in this post.

Struggled searching for any independent, up-to-date epository. Perhaps my Google-fu is slightly dated.

The manjaro-xfce-17.1.12-stable-x86_64.iso was the last using xfce4 (old gtk2 based AFAIK) before the complete port to xfce4-gtk3 that comes now by default with manjaro-xfce-18.0.4-stable-x86_64.iso or manjaro-xfce-18.0.4-stable-minimal-x86_64.iso

The conversion from the first should be working by using that post you mentioned, but also make sure the mirrors are ok too.
sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
then follow that post commands.

You should end with the latest packages installed.
Switching branches to testing or unstable will provide packages that are not yet on stable.

3 Likes

My mirrors were set half-across the world, now they're local again. Could have sworn I set them to up-to-date locals back in Jan, oh well! Thanks! :partying_face: Everything installed, zero warnings (Except for mesa).

Should I start a separate thread about migrating from KDE Plasma :thinking:? Would love to go back to XFCE. :grin:

To be honest, i would do a fresh install for that, or at least use a different user. The reason is that manjaro-kde-settings will conflict manjaro-xfce-settings and/or manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings and those have a bit of impact in some dependencies.

It all depends as not all of them sync in order. Personally i use only 3 that i found to work for may region, i check if one is updated and use that as default, so from time to time i rotate between them before i start the update process. Worked fine so far on all 3 branches.

Yeah, made too many changes and now the install is all iffy. Something to keep me busy in my free time, can't complain! :upside_down_face:

Happened already, broke things first and asked questions later. :rofl:

Great, had no idea we had access to a nifty tool like this. :+1:

Manjaro Architect did an XFCE 4.12 install.

GRUB failed.

PARTUUID choice is ignored, UUID is set regardless.

Still can't jump back to Architect after chrooting from within the installer.

Do I need to reinstall again? I don't want a pile of unneeded, XFCE4.12 packages laying around.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.