VPNs in official repository?

SurfShark :thinking: interesting. I will take a look. Thank you.

I wasn’t going to request for you to add them to the official repo. Only, you can make that decision.

I only mentioned it because it answers your question. I only relayed information that is quite prominent on manjaro.org.

FYI, I am a member of the community, not the company. I neither recommend nor endorse anything that may be promoted on our website by the company.

…but then you did:

1 Like

Let’s make the difference between software and commercial service providers. There is software in the repos, like openvpn.
But i also noticed popular paid services/providers like the above mentioned missing. I suppose it is a mix of not being entirely opensource and not being wanted there from the service providers. If they wanted to, they could have reached arch and published the source on gitlab, and maintained the package. But many commercial providers want to have full controll of the code and not make it public, and in such cases there is no way (legal or technical) to make a sensible package that is good supported. And half working things have no place in the repos.
Some examples of such not really linux friendly companies are Viber (Aur-Appimage), Teamviewer, Anydesk (zipped binary code provided from the website)

Mullvad in the aur is maintained by one of the manjaro team. So if you trust manjaro his aur package is just as trustworthy

1 Like

You mean all these ones? :slight_smile:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages?O=0&SeB=M&K=yochananmarqos&SB=n&SO=a&PP=250&submit=Go

1 Like

When selecting a VPN provider I always first look, if they offer native openvpn/wireguard connections and have respective documentation. Even when you decide to use a proprietary application later (e.g. on manjaro itself, but also their android/ios app), the native doc is a good indication what sort of service they run.

The regular configuration/start of an openvpn-client@.service or wg-quick@.service is very easy nowadays. For example, the openvpn package drops privileges automatically. If your provider has pre-configured profiles, it is even easier.
Regarding wireguard one point to keep in mind is to look for specific log statements of the provider. I’m not a mullvad user, but considered them and read about their specific related configuration - something that can be used as a guidance when making choices.

I was referring to Mullvad when I said I wasn’t going to request it, unless you are one of AirVPN’s shadow developers.

so if I understand well… your pkgbuild is without mono?
and since I’m not a geek, how to install? just copying it in konsole?

generally I download the latest testing and install it with pacman -U because is not in AUR immediately after release

FYI, most packages in the Manjaro repos are inherited from Arch. The rest are maintained by Manjaro. All packages are built by a Package Maintainer like myself, not an upstream developer. We decide what packages to include in the repos.

You can see who built the package by checking the Packager field; i.e, firefox is packaged by an Arch Package Maintainer:

❯ pacman -Si firefox | grep Packager
Packager        : Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <heftig@archlinux.org>

surfshark-gui-bin is packaged by a Manjaro Package Maintainer:

❯ pacman -Si surfshark-gui-bin | grep Packager
Packager        : Mark Wagie <mark@manjaro.org>

No. I was just saying that I didn’t find the Eddie UI Mono GUI optimal. I’d rather use something native like Gtk or Qt. My PKGBUILD uses msbuild with .NET Framework 4.8 instead of xbuild with 4.5 as the latter is deprecated.

Build it manually like you would any other AUR package.

If you’d rather only checkout the eddie-ui folder than clone my entire pkgbuilds repo:

git clone -n --depth=1 --filter=tree:0 https://github.com/yochananmarqos/pkgbuilds
cd pkgbuilds
git sparse-checkout set --no-cone eddie-ui
git checkout

Hmm, intresting but what are the outcome from this buggy stable version?

I don’t see any errors in the Eddie Logs and can successfull connect to a server…
I also don’t see a IP leak or something when i check my connection, maybe i don’t have the right tools to see, what you see.

I have to say the version numbers between beta and stable are big differend (that worries me also, atleast a little) and i also wonder why i don’t see a update for stable for almost 1,5 years but i still think i got a flawless connection to the servers… maybe i got fooled :bomb:

Are you maybe talking about the possibility for security flaws instead actually bugs? :space_invader:

@Yochanan
I copy+pasted my question in this Topic, since it fits better here instead in the Release Announcement.

I have been using the “beta” for so long I forgot what specific issues I had. I do recall having issues connecting to servers and issues with the UI not displaying things properly depending on the window size.

See comments in the eddie-ui PKGBUILD. The maintainer doesn’t really know how to package on Arch vs. Debian.

after install if I run pacman -Qdt

I get

pacman -Qdt
mono-msbuild 16.10.1.xamarinxplat.2021.05.26.14.00-4
patchelf 0.18.0-1

So those are orphan packages meaning nothing relies on them… and ? …

this pkgs installed with the pkgbuild of Yuchanan, so I wish to know if are safe to remove… :smile:

Orphans are save to remove. Dependencies that are not dependencies anymore. It is actually recommended to remove because after some years some of it might become demoted or deprecated and cause problems by update.

Next time, use the -r flag with makepkg (i.e, makepkg -srif) to remove the build dependencies after. :wink:

1 Like

I’m using the stable release (Last Updated: 2022-05-26 12:21) and it works perfectly for me. You can see the changelog between stable version 2.21.8 and experimental version 2.23.2 at https://eddie.website . There are no security issues that I’m aware of, just minor bugfixes and changes.

1 Like

Thanks to confirm this :partying_face:

If you’re considering a new VPN on Manjaro XFCE and want something from the official repository, OpenVPN in the Network Manager is a solid option. If you find its setup a bit tricky, ProtonVPN and Mullvad are alternatives, though they’re in the AUR.