Vorta scheduling fail

I use Borg & Vorta. I like the ease of Vorta’s GUI. I need to schedule 2 Vorta profiles, one at 00:00 & 12:00 the other at 06:00 & 18:00 I can not do this in the vorta scheduler which is a pain, however Vorta does allow you to execute the profiles with a command vorta --create <PROFILE> which is handy. So i tried to create a crontab for each profile but crontab just errors.

Jul 15 12:20:01 greg-inspiron5767 CROND[230964]: (greg) CMDOUT (qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display )
Jul 15 12:20:01 greg-inspiron5767 CROND[230964]: (greg) CMDOUT (qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.)
Jul 15 12:20:01 greg-inspiron5767 CROND[230964]: (greg) CMDOUT (This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the applic
ation may fix this problem.)

If i look in the settings at the “Task scheduler” GUI of crontab i can check that the entry does work by hitting “Run Now”

and it works fine, it just does not work when the crontab is run by its own timing.

I have tried to make a bash executable for crontab to execute, but that does not work either.

I have briefly looked at the systemd timers but its all way over my head, plus im not even sure if i will just get the same result anyhow.

Why is creating a very simple timer such a head scratch, there must be a simple timer GUI, maybe a thing that starts at boot and sits in the tray as an icon, you can just add stuff and it just works?

Don’t try to schedule GUI programs, but schedule Borg directly.

E.G. for my system, just slightly update for you:

#!/bin/bash
#Go to home directory
cd /home/jackdinn
logger "Backup starting..."
borg create --stats --progress --compression lzma,9 \
            --exclude ".cache/" \
            --exclude ".local/share/" \
            --exclude ".config/borg/" \
            --exclude ".thunderbird/iznbwd6v.default-release/ImapMail/" \
            --exclude "snap" \
            --exclude "jimbo" \
            --exclude "Examples" \
            --exclude "Downloads" \
            --exclude "Videos/*.avi" \
            --exclude "Videos/*.mp4" \
            --exclude "Videos/*.mkv" \
      /media/NAS/home/jackdinn/BCK::{now:%Y-%m-%d} . 2>> /temp/"jackdinn"-bck.log
# if error, wriote to journal and jump to end
if [[ $? -gt 0 ]]; then
  logger "Backup errors found in /temp/jackdinn-bck.log"
else
  logger "Backup has ended."
fi
  • Save the above in /usr/local/bin/jackdinnbck,
  • chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/jackdinnbck to allow anyone to execute it
  • schedule the script instead of a GUI…

:crossed_fingers:

Yea , i know, i used to do it that way, but as i say in my OP I like the convenience and ease of Vorta GUI I am not prepared to lose all that i gain from using it.