VNC Questions

Hello everyone,

I have questions about RealVNC on Manjaro and somehow VNC in general. Here's my situation: I have a Windows 10 work computer that's not publicly available to the internet, but I have installed RealVNC server on that, and I have created an account and because of that, when I log in to my RealVNC viewer on my home Manjaro computer, I can see the Windows computer and remotely connect to it.

I have Manjaro i3 installed, and there are two main issues I'm having on Manjaro, which I didn't have in Ubuntu:

• I have two monitors, but when I go to full screen in RealVNC, it's still using only one of my monitors. In Ubuntu's RealVNC viewer, in the Expert section of settings, there was an option to use all monitors, but I don't see that in Manjaro.
  • Clipboard doesn't work two ways: if I copy something to clipboard on my remote Windows computer, I can see it in my local Manjaro computer, but the other way doesn't work.

So, I was wondering if these 2 issues can be resolved with RealVNC on Manjaro.

I don't know why, but I somehow feel like people don't use RealVNC that much, and most of the VNC-related topics I saw are about other ones such as TightVNC, TigerVNC, etc.

So, another thing I was wondering about: if those clients work better on Manjaro, is there a way I can use them given my situation. I'm not sure how RealVNC does that, is there magic happening somewhere or I would be also able to access my remote computer without RealVNC?

Your help is really appreciated.

RealVNC is based partly on closed and open source.

Because RealVNC is a commercial solution it is not widely in use in the Linux community and it cannot be freely distributed which may be another reason.

The commercialized product requires a commercial license.

RealVNC creates a solution similar to TeamViewer in which they have middleware creating the connection.

Both TeamViewer, VNC and other similar software works because a connection initiated from inside a network can be connected to another connection initiated from inside another network. The server role is to connect the dots so to speak.

Yeah, I was thinking that could be the reason.

So, do you know if I can somehow do that myself so that I can use another client? If so, do you know of any resource or something that would guide me?

The only possible solution when external access is not possible is using a service which acts as middleware. TeamViewer, RealVNC or similar service.

This should work on i3 as well if you have instaledl the AUR package realvnc-vnc-viewer.

pamac build realvnc-vnc-viewer

Launch it and click the Sign in.. in the upper right corner of the viewer.

I'm not sure if I was clear there. I have installed the package readlvnc-vnc-viewer on my Manjaro, and I am able to see my remote machine (using my account), and connect to it, so that part's not an issue.

The issue for me is that on Manjaro, only one of my monitors is used

RealVNC viewer is the same whether it is Ubuntu or Manjaro.

The PKGBUILD on AUR pulls the file from RealVNC and repack it to Arch so I don't think the package is different from Ubuntu. That is - unless the Ubuntu repo version is an older version.

source_x86_64=("https://www.realvnc.com/download/file/viewer.files/VNC-Viewer-${pkgver}-Linux-x64.deb")

If you miss some configuration items you should be able to add them to the config found in ~/.vnc/

https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/docs/configure-vnc.html#configure-vnc-files

I have the same setup - two monitors and a local raspberry pi with realvnc server.

I have no problem using both monitors - in fact it is quite annoying that realvnc start in the center of both - overlapping 50/50.

I use arandr to initially set my monitors.

This config is saved an run when I login (openbox).

man vncviewer

vncviewer -help

Actually, I confirmed that the version I have is up-to-date with the version on RealVNC Website

Maybe, it's because I'm using i3 that I can't make it work for my two monitors? :frowning: or maybe it's my lack of knowledge, and I would need to do something using arandr to make it work??

This is what I see when I open arandr:

When I right-click on them, none of them is set to Primary, but both have their Active checkbox checked, so I don't know if there's something extra that I need to do.

Also I tried adding UseAllMonitors=1 to the config file ~/.vnc/config.d/vncviewer, but still it's not working. I added it manually because as you see below, in my Expert section of config dialog, I don't have that option:

Do you know if I can fix this?

Thank you

In arandr click LayoutSave As - name it e.g. dual-head.

Now you have a shell script in ~/.screenlayout/dual-head.sh

I have no experience with i3 configuration but you should be able to execute the script preferable before doing anything screen related.

In your ~/.i3/config insert the following line

exec --no-startup-id ~/.screenlayout/dual-head.sh

Do I need to configure something before doing that? I'm asking because if I open arandr, and it shows me the configuration in my previous comment, doesn't it mean that it's already my current configuration? How does running the script on startup change anything?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark