Unable to login after copying to new SSD with rsync

Hello,

I wanted to copy my Linux setup to another SSD, since my current one is pretty old.
The current setup was dual-booting with Windows, but I haven’t used it in a while, so I’d rather have the space for my Linux partition.
The goal is to clone/copy my current Linux partition to the new SSD. Since I only have one slot for an SSD in my laptop, I have to utilize another hard drive to get the data out.

These are the steps I followed:

1. Boot into a live USB, mount both disks (the old and temporary one) and copy all files with rsync:
    rsync -aAXH --delete --info=progress2 --one-file-system --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found","/timeshift"} / /run/media/josef/HDD/rsync-backup/
  2. Shutdown, replace old SSD with the new one and do the opposite to 1.
  3. Update fstab accordingly
  4. Re-install/Update GRUB
  5. Reboot

If I now enter my password, I’m greeted with “Invalid password. Please try again.” (or something similar).
I even tried to reset the passwords with my live USB, but without success.

I’m pretty lost now, how to go on further… Would you recommend trying another method or can you help me spot the mistake?

If you need any further details, I’ll provide them gladly.

Best regards,
Josef

Reboot your system using a LIVE ISO - chroot into the system - and set root and user password from there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.