VMware - Can I use it?

vmware

Short answer - maybe

VMware is a proprietary, binary only application.

As a long time user of VMware products I know - you may have success - and most likely you will get issues when Manjaro is updated.

VMware is extremely stable on supported platforms and VMware maintains a list of supported host operating systems.

Manjaro is not the list. Manjaro’s base Arch Linux is not on the list either.

Why is that

Manjaro is a rolling release and not suited to the fixed release model of VMware.

Manjaro receives updates to core system files so often, it tend to break VMware. VMware on Manjaro and Arch based systems is - at best - stable until the next update.

Then what to do?

Use VirtualBox or another KVM application or use one of the supported operating systems.

(Solved) Problem with installing Vmware-Workstation
[wiki]Installing VMware
No etc/init.rc for vmware player 15
Vmware don't start after Upgrade
Vmware Horizon and Workstation
Vmware Workstation on Manjaro does not work
Vmware player network
Vmware workstation 15.0 cannot be installed

Or just use the aur package and call it a day?

:no_entry: Don’t

What ever method you use to install VMware - you will end up being frustrated over the constant breakage.

Recommending to install it from AUR will leave the impression that it is a viable method to get it working - but it is not - not for the long term.

Believe me - I have been there - both on Arch and Manjaro - the thrill of making it work dissappears when you have had you third breakage due to a system update.

I have worked with VMware products over a decade and believe me - it is not that fun to make Workstation run on Arch and derivatives.

Using a supported operating system is the only reasonable way of running VMware Workstation.

I suppose it depends how important having access to vmware is. If you run vmware on manjaro, it will be broken sometimes. If you are a hobbyist running vmware for fun or casual use, it is probably not a big deal as long as the inconvenience doesn’t bother you. If you are depending on vmware to do a job, you will eventually be frustrated.

Almost everyone who comes in here discussing their success with vmware is frustrated 6 months later and switching to something else.