VLC player and blender have problems since update about 6 months ago

Since an update in manjaro kde about 6 months ago vlc player doesn’t convert to mp3 (always 0B files). Since this time blenders rendering doesn`t work. After in new installation there was the same problem. In Kubuntu and Windows 10 both programs do work without problems. How can I get VLC and blender work in manjaro correct?

¿Have you try to install an older version of VLC? It could be a provisional solution because I think that Manjaro is not the problem.

VLC has been updated numerous times since then.

What command are you running and what is the output? Are there any errors? Why not just use ffmpeg or another audio converter?

VLC is pretty much a one-stop for everything that needs a “play” button. If VLC plays the media you want to convert and it fails it seems the issue is elsewhere.

There’s literally a metric ton of very good software that is actually meant for converting audio, with all the bells and whistles.

I’m not really big on Blender, but blender + vlc having issues seems like broken update/upgrade, incompatible encoder/decoder, etc. However - VLC is a all-in-one powerhouse and I would not be surprised if the problem is with write permissions, rather than VLC itself.

Please start vlc in the terminal with vlc and paste the output.

Thank you, here you can see the output, if I try to convert a .mp4 file to .mp3:
[voigt@voigt-hpdesktopm01f0xxx ~]$ vlc
VLC media player 3.0.16 Vetinari (revision 3.0.13-8-g41878ff4f2)
[0000558d889625b0] main libvlc: VLC wird mit dem Standard-Interface ausgeführt. Benutzen Sie ‘cvlc’
, um VLC ohne Interface zu verwenden.
[0000558d88a04b10] main playlist: playlist is empty
kf.kio.widgets.kdirmodel: No node found for item that was just removed: QUrl(“file:///home/voigt/dw
helper/Matthäus 26,17-25 Bibel TV-1.mp4”)
[00007f0c740037f0] dummy mux: Open
uint DBusMenuExporterDBus::GetLayout(int, int, const QStringList&, DBusMenuLayoutItem&): Condition
failed: menu
uint DBusMenuExporterDBus::GetLayout(int, int, const QStringList&, DBusMenuLayoutItem&): Condition

It’s interesting that I noticed the same thing the moment VLC upgraded to version 3.0.12 (in which I had to downgrade back to 3.0.11 to convert video and audio from a capture device.)

Here is my history in Pamac:

[2021-02-09T10:54:32-0500] [ALPM] upgraded vlc (3.0.11.1-6 → 3.0.12-1)

As you can see, the VLC upgrade that triggered this happened on February 2021, which sits it at 6 months ago, which happens to coincide with @Th60’s observation.

I eventually removed the “upgrade lock” on VLC and allowed it to update normally, since I had finished converting old videos and no longer needed to use VLC as an encoder/converter tool.

Something must have been done upstream in VLC’s development when it jumped from 3.0.11. :face_with_monocle:

Thank you for answer! So I know, that I’m not the only guy with this problem. So it is as it is.