VLC and OBS becoming a zombie process after I close

I'm having problems with VLC and Open Broadcast Studio (obs), where everytime I close those applications they keep running in background

OBS

19398 ? Sl 0:08 obs
19832 pts/0 R+ 0:00 grep --colour=auto obs

VLC

19709 ? Sl 0:01 /usr/bin/vlc --started-from-file /home/user/test.mp4
20022 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep --colour=auto vlc

In this case I can still kill the obs process, but for vlc it only works after I logout or reboot the system.
Since both programs use qt, I suspect there might be a problem with qt applications and Cinnamon, because they're still open in the task bar after I close.

I don't have this problem with linux Mint, so it maybe a specific problem with Manjaro version.

cinnamon 4.4.8-1
qt5-base 5.14.2-1
obs-studio 25.0.4-1
vlc 3.0.9.2-1

This is a known bug for VLC:

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=149762

Workaround:

1 Like

I saw this topic too, but the same thing happens with obs-studio, so the problem may not be specific with vlc.

Unless both programs use some kind of component (rather than qt) that may be the culprit

Just had this issue today, I started a video with vlc to check if headphone was working. Closed it immediately then afterwards I ran htop and saw that there were lots of vlc processes eating up my RAM, tried sudo killall vlc and didn't work. opening and closing with the gui didn't work either.

Did killall -g vlc then everything crashed and restarted lightdm I think and the vlc process was gone. Had no idea that would happen xD

Forum kindly sponsored by