VLC "always fit window" black screen bug

Note: this might be connected to Only sound in VLC player, though I'm not sure. VLC version 3.0.5.

The issue is that whenever I open an mp4 video which is captured with my Oneplus 7T Pro smartphone, there's only audio, no video. However, if I right-click on black screen and UNcheck "always fit window", then I see video without any issues.

Which technical details should I provide? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

An example of the video in question would be helpful if this sample MP4 plays without any issues.

@Fabby the video you provided works fine for me. After some digging I found that the issue can be reproduced when I watch vertical videos recorded with my smartphone. Here's the example of such video: https://yadi.sk/i/RbtjWHdxxB9bIg (uploaded to Yandex.Disk cloud storage)

That's a 1080P vertical video: VLC has probably¹ trouble autosizing it. Try setting VLC's preferences to zoom 50% by default and see if it goes away.

Note 1: probably because:

:sob:

@Fabby thanks for the advice, however this didn't work. With any zoom except 1.00 I always get black screen (regardless of "fit to window" setting).

I've also uploaded video to MEGA: https://mega.nz/#!vIUW1CAR!QD0uaAg-0FJ2gxGkMHQFsEW6d-cY2ThOTAlQ-x9GNrY

That worked! I don't have the problem on 3.0.8 with your original video so the last things I can advise you is to:

• upgrade VLC to 3.0.8

• Transcode to a lower resolution (HD instead of FHD, 30FPS instead of 60 FPS in the below example) and see if it happens there too:

nice --adjustment=18 ffmpeg -n -i /tmp/mozilla_fab-user0/VID_20200313_210212.mp4 -map_metadata -1 -c:v libx264 -strict -2 -r 30 -s 1280x720 -c:a libmp3lame -b:a 384K /tmp/VID_20200313_210212_720.mkv

If that works and 3.0.8 doesn't: your phone is too powerful for your computer! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face:

P.S. Did you try the other settings I have too? (I.E. Auto scaling)

vlc is at 3.0.8-10 on stable. Update your system.

1 Like

@Fabby & @freggel.doe -- thank you both for the answers!
For some unknown reasons, I had VLC installed as snapshot from AUR, re-installed it from "extra" repo and everything works fine!

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by