VirtualBox won't start any VMs (says kernel module is not loaded)

In the wiki it says vbox-reload, but vboxreload outputs:

Unloading modules: 
Loading modules: modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxnetadp not found in directory /lib/modules/6.6.23-1-MANJARO
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxnetflt not found in directory /lib/modules/6.6.23-1-MANJARO
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/6.6.23-1-MANJARO

First i enabled svm (Amd Hardware Virtualization) in my bios, then i ran

sudo pacman -Syu virtualbox linux66-virtualbox-host-modules

and afterwards rebooted my system twice.

What happens (post the output of) when you run:

sudo modprobe vboxdrv

I tried this (didn’t explicitly install dmks and linux66-headers before), but after running sudo vboxreload is still get

Unloading modules: 
Loading modules: modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxnetadp not found in directory /lib/modules/6.6.23-1-MANJARO
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxnetflt not found in directory /lib/modules/6.6.23-1-MANJARO
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/6.6.23-1-MANJARO

There is something utterly out of whack with your system.

I am running the exact same kernel

15:32:06 ○ [fh@tiger] ~
 $ uname -a
Linux tiger 6.6.23-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Mar 27 14:11:44 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux

15:33:10 ○ [fh@tiger] ~
 $ sudo vboxreload
[sudo] password for fh: 
Unloading modules: vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxdrv 
Loading modules: vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxdrv 

It is impossible to guess - since all your efforts are done the right way - I have no idea … completely blank.

Mmh, i don’t experience any other issues…

Well i guess i’ll try QEMU then if no one else has any ideas…

Thanks anyways!

You could do that - my last question is - do you by any chance use btrfs on your root filesystem?

Yes, i use btrfs.

Also my root is encrypted with luks, if that makes any difference.

Dang - I think your filesystem has gotten confused with all the adding and removing packages.

I have experienced that myself with btrfs - more than once … one of my main reassons for not running btrfs on production system.

Virtual machines hosted on btfs filesystem is a recipe for disaster - be sure to disable CoW for the partition or subvolume where you plan to store the VMs.

Possilby you need to do some maintenance on the filesystem - please see Btrfs Maintenance - Manjaro

Technically it shouldn’t make any difference…

Ok i’ll keep that in mind with QEMU and take a look into the maintenance article, thanks.

Please do fix the underlying issue before heading out for new adventures on the current system.