virtualbox error VBoxNetAdpCtl

I recently reinstalled virtualbox and vagrant under the 5.1.15-1 kernel I installed the 5.1 host kernel and guest editions as well as the vde2-2.3.2-11-x86_64 libvncserver-0.9.12-1-x86_64 virtualbox-ext-vnc-6.0.8-2-x86_64 would someone please tell me how to get this error to go away and get it working properly . I need it for a course I am taking .
There was an error while executing VBoxManage, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["hostonlyif", "create"]

Stderr: 0%...
Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage: error: VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleCreate(HandlerArg*)" at line 94 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp

Hello,

Please read this. How to provide good information in your posts

Also have you done a search on this site for issues with VM. Was it working before you reinstalled? What exactly are you trying to do?

1 Like

Im fairly new to linux . And the course i was doing are actually on linux. Using a virtual environment with vagrant for practice scripting before I try anything advanced on the real system . And Yes it worked fine before i had to reinstall over issues with the recent kernel update problems that needed a patch by removing a kernel and updating before switching on nvidia . What im using vagrant for practice scripting with multiple machines according to the course

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by