VirtualBox error in the last update

Thanks, I’ll look into mhwd.

I was of the impression this wasn’t only happening on my computer, since the bug is mentioned on VirtualBox’s forum and I didn’t create this thread. It’s my first time using a distro with rolling updates, I’m not used to stuff breaking when running on a stable branch.

Please link to the post. I was not aware of any upstream issues as I’m able to use VirtualBox just fine. I track Arch bug reports daily and I do not recall anything reported recently.

No worries. A rolling release distro does take some getting used to. Once you do, you’ll never want to use a point release distro again. :wink:

1 Like

The 3rd. post in this thread mentions it with some different links.

I already appreciate it, but I’m using Virtualbox most of the day, so this one hit hard.

It seems like the issue has been resolved using mhwd to upgrade the kernel to 5.18, thanks for the wiki link.

Aha! Sorry, had been following this thread (among many others) and lost track.

Haven’t had time to read all of this thread,
just posting what I’ve gleaned from the vbox forum.

• There are some recent major changes in the kernel that virtualbox hasn’t caught up with.
  • The changes have been backported to LTS kernels (5.10, 5.15) so the problems happen with those too.
  • It seems to happen only with certain CPUs, not all.
    (I have Xeon E5-2665 and kernel 5.15, and I have the problem,)
  • Recently people have been trying a new virtualbox 6.1.35 test build with success.
    Hope we can get that in Arch/Manjaro soon.
    VirtualBox test builds 6.1.35r151573 (and newer) …”

EDIT: the vbox testbuids page has a .run file : ‘https://www.virtualbox.org/download/testcase/VirtualBox-6.1.35-151866-Linux_amd64.run
Is there a way to use that (temporarily) on Manjaro, safely?
If so, how?

Maybe this is a fix for it? Will try it.
EDIT: It’s better than before, but maybe not completely fixed.

$ checkupdates
linux515 5.15.46-1 -> 5.15.48-1
linux515-headers 5.15.46-1 -> 5.15.48-1
linux515-virtualbox-host-modules 6.1.34-14 -> 6.1.34-17

!

I have had problems with VBox for the last year. The new versions are somehow unstable.

I also have Virt-Manager (Qemu/KVM) now… Just works. The switch is a pain, the interface of VBox is very good. The shared folder of VBox for Windows guests I still miss now. For Linux guests Virtiofs works really well.

I was able to convert the VMs easily. :slight_smile:

Yes it is.
Have been running Win11 in VBox for half an hour – nice and smooth.

EDIT:
Maybe not; I’ve had some unexpected restarts that I don’t think were Windows’ fault.
Looks like we have to wait for vbox 6.1.35; it’s in testing, and some fedora users report that it works, in this forum.

Still no joy for me with these versions.

I still get these various errors with manjaro guest, so going back to kernel 5.4:

On manjaro upgrade:

• openssl_read error ssl3_get_record:decryption failed or bad record mac

• error: failed to decompress: /usr/lib32/libicuuc.so.71.1 (Zstd decompression failed: Restored data doesn’t match checksum)

random segfaults with calamres during install

fsck.ext4: error whil eloadning shared libraries: libe2p.so: cannot open shared object file: No such fil eor directory
ERROR: Bailing out. Run ´fsck /dev/sda1´ manually

sh: can’t access tty: job control turned off

Same here

1 Like

Some contributions:

1. The VM files don´t get corrupted by anyway (even though running it through those mentioned kernels in those mentioned VirtualBox’s version become VERY unstable regarding memory issues);

2. Downgrading to virtualBox 6.1.32 or even 6.1.30 didn’t make it for me;

3. Upgrading my kernel to the 5.15 LTS didn´t make it for me (I was originally on 5.10 LTS);

4. Upgrading my kernel to the non-LTS 5.18 brought everything back to normal (so far).

2 Likes

I confirm linux 518 works.

1 Like

Also noticed the issue on a haswell laptop (i7-4750HQ). Virtualbox crashes windows guests, unless kernel 5.18.5 is used.

This seems weird. Problems are generally expected with recent kernels. Conversely in this case VirtualBox seems to have problems with the least recent kernels where patches were backported via the kernel stable branches. These are never expected to cause regressions of this sort.

Sometimes newer kernel fix stuff first and only then fixes are backported to other kernels.

Hello
was this fixed with the latest update?
I’m on Kernel 5.15.
want to know before i bother making a VM.
Thanks

1 Like

No, will be fixed with VirtualBox 6.1.36. In Manjaro the version is 6.1.34 at the moment.

3 Likes

Thank you.

First I tried upgrading to linux518 and even to linux519, but none of these helped. Then I decided to go downgrading. I downgraded 4 packages from cache like this:
# pacman -U file:///linux517-5.17.9-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst file:///linux517-headers-5.17.9-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst file:///linux517-virtualbox-host-modules-6.1.34-9-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst file:///virtualbox-6.1.34-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
And it worked. My Windows 10 came back to life!
I’ll stick to this workaround until the official fix released.

I swear I’ll keep using kernel 5.4 and won’t upgrade anymore in the coming 10 years!

You’re right. Unfortunately.

I tried every 5.x kernel and still Virtualbox is not installlable.

I regret updating Manjaro and trying to fix Virtualbox by reinstalling it again. Since I can’t install VirtualBox anymore at all.