Virtual Box cant find any phyisical sata drives

Hello! My name is Marko, I have an issue speaking english still developing i have an issue with virtualbox it cannot find any physical drives that are connected to my motherboard (Gigabyte DS3H) this happend to me alot on linux distros all types. from kali to debian 11 / 10 to Mint and Of course manjaro! i dont know how to fix this this only works fine with vmware there is no help on other fourms this is my only hope now.

manjaro sees my sata HDD and SSD and my DVD Burner and disks see the partitions normally but when i launch virtualbox and try to change the directory i cant do that i can only access my main manjaro directory ( / ) and my other drives on EXT4 Or ntfs i still cannot use it in virtualbox it cant see it at all

if anybody can offer any help Thank you. im new to manjaro at least less than a month

again thank you if you can help (:

Hello,

Virtual Box does support attaching physical (raw) drives to a VM but there is no option for it in the GUI. To attach a drive to a VM you will first need to install the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack. Then you run from terminal, for example:

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /path/to/name_of_drive.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sXY

where sXY is the real drive you want to attach, hence you replace XY with the corresponding ones …
Then you create your virtual machine and you attach to it the name_of_drive.vmdk you created.

2 Likes

Access to the raw physical device requires root permissions.

For virtualbox to be able to read contents of mounted devices - the mount point must be shared to the virtual machine.

hello! this works!

Sorry if i made a mistake while replying im still new.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.