Intel 3168NGW Intermittent Wifi Connection

Hi Team,

I was hoping that you all might be able to help me out. I’ve had this issue before and for the life of me I cannot figure out how I fixed it. I figure that If I can get the answer here I’ll bookmark it for the future.

So after an update my wifi went back to its old trick of working for about 3 mins or so after booting then not working. The adapter shows in the settings manager and then after it stops I get the “No Wifi adapter found” screen (Screenshot below, edit, no screenshot as I’m not allowed to post pictures). From my experience in the past the issue might be related to the wifi adapter being sent to sleep and then not being able to wake up. This issue is not persistent when using Windows (shudder). (Please don’t judge me, windows is for rare occasions …).

The System specs:

• Kernel: 5.16.2-1
  • Gnome Version: 41.3
  • CPU: AMD® Ryzen 7 2700x
  • Motherboard: ASRock X470 Taichi
  • Wifi Adapter: Intel 3168NGW

Steps I’ve Already Taken:

• Make sure it’s not a network issue (all other devices on the same network work fine)
  • sudo systemctl mask tlp && sudo systemctl mask tlp-sleep.service
    to make sure the adapter is not going to sleep
  • Downloaded driver from Intel Located Here: (link removed in order to post) and put it in /lib/firmware/intel and also in /lib/firmware
  • Updated Kernel from 5.15.16-1 to 5.16.2-1

Is there anything that you guys might be able to suggest to fix this?

Also because of the arrangement of my apartment I can’t use a lan connection, I would if I could, but that’s a no go unfortunately.

Have you checked that the fastboot option is turned off in windows ?

Thanks for the reply mate, I have checked my BIOS settings and fast boot is off. Would that effect anything?

While I was there I also went looking for any power saving states to turn them of, but it looks like I did that last time too …

Something else that may or may not help. As far as I am aware the 3168NGW is combined Bluetooth and wifi is it not? I bring this up because I can still connect to Bluetooth devices when the wifi goes down so that might be a clue but I don’t know what for