Standardising "my" installation

Hello all,

I’ve only been using Manjaro for around 9 months. Coming from a FreeBSD background, my head went to wanting ZFS-on-root (mirrored SSDs) with automated snapshotting, boot environments, yadda yadda yadda. But coming up to a year on, I realise that because ZFS isn’t as baked in I really don’t reap some of the same benefits as I do in FreeBSD…

So, I’ve got myself a shiny new nvme drive, and figured I’d do a reinstall. Because I won’t be snapshotting/mirroring my root disk in the same way, I thought it would be good to have the OS installation standardised - so should anything really break in the future for me I can just reinstall using a script or some documentation and get back to a good state.
My data will reside on a ZFS pool and backed up separately, but I’d like the system to be as “disposable” as possible.

Bearing in mind that reinstalls could be months or years apart, a scripted install sounds risky because options could change over time, whereas a documented standard install would let “future me” know “here’s what I did last time, choose something equivalent this time”

I also have some DKMS modules (e.g. nvidia, ZFS) required to run my system and don’t know if it’s best to install these along with the OS, or after the fact.

What are you recommendations with regards to scripted/documented installs, and would it be considered best practise to install DKMS modules with the OS, or afterwards?

Many thanks for you time,
Ben

1 Like

Please read this:

Which gives you everything you want / need and a few more advantages using completely different technology…

:crossed_fingers:

That’s quite an interesting solution. More continual effort than I was initially thinking - since I’d need to periodically create a clone of my desktop - but would also mean my config as code piece would have a smaller (or no) delta to get to a fully up-to-date system.

Thanks for the solution!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.