Video input devices working under kernel 4.19.13-1 not working under kernel 4.20.0-1 Manjaro 18 XFCE

you would only see 2 entries in GRUB menu if it is just Manjaro installed

To get to list of kernel versions select 2nd item on list - Advanced options for Manjaro Linux

if GRUB configuration still has Manajro default setting, choice of kernel selected is saved
at next boot GRUB will show selected kernel marked with ‘*’ and will continue to boot from same kernel until manually changed

If you check text details when installing or updating kernels, there is usually a section at the end showing the GRUB update, which should show the kernel versions being written to GRUB

Hi Nikgnomic,

I only have Manjaro installed and I do not get any GRUB or other boot menu on bootup - I am not presented with any options (advanced or other). When I enable the beep on bootup - I do not get a beep on boot. When I run ‘sudo update-grub’ 4.19, 4.20, and the memtest module are listed on the output from update-grub.

I had thought from comment about extending wait time that there had been a visible GRUB

Pressing ‘ESC’ during boot may display hidden GRUB menu

or check this thread for some of the possible methods grub menu may be hidden

No GRUB menu is presented. When I boot to USB first, I do not get any advanced options.

I’m going to follow that thread and see where I end up… In the interim, I installed the 4.14 kernel on my HP laptop. By booting the USB, then selecting find EFI bootloaders, access the advanced options and finally choose to boot from a different kernel, I was able to boot to 4.14. I installed the 4.20 kernel and when follow the same procedure as above, I did not get any advanced menus, it simply booted to Manjaro as installed on the drive. I have removed the quiet from the default linux default line… no change was noticed. Should I take this bootloader issue to seperate post?

Here is my grub (config?) file:

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_TIMEOUT=15
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR='Manjaro'
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet resume=UUID=52dcf6bb-f1bd-4411-960e-6517427d0f12"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# If you want to enable the save default function, uncomment the following
# line, and set GRUB_DEFAULT to saved.
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

# Preload both GPT and MBR modules so that they are not missed
GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="part_gpt part_msdos"

# Uncomment to enable booting from LUKS encrypted devices
#GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y

# Uncomment to use basic console
GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT=console

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal
#GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
GRUB_GFXMODE=auto

# Uncomment to allow the kernel use the same resolution used by grub
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

# Uncomment if you want GRUB to pass to the Linux kernel the old parameter
# format "root=/dev/xxx" instead of "root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxx"
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true

# Uncomment and set to the desired menu colors.  Used by normal and wallpaper
# modes only.  Entries specified as foreground/background.
GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="light-gray/black"
GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="green/black"

# Uncomment one of them for the gfx desired, a image background or a gfxtheme
#GRUB_BACKGROUND="/usr/share/grub/background.png"
GRUB_THEME="/usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt"

# Uncomment to get a beep at GRUB start
GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

Pressing esc after either the HP press esc for boot options or the system inventory on the dell t620 does not present any additional options, it continues to boot kernel 4.20. For those who still think in terms of older windows os… this is when F8 would be pressed… :slight_smile:

Robert, I do not know if it is your video or kernel (4.20) or upgrade or grub that is the issue.

I can only propose some measures to try to work these out and I am not sure if they can work out for you.

If you have 4.19 (I am not sure if you now have and you said 4.19 works for you previously), use 4.19 otherwise you have no choice but to use 4.20 to boot into prompt using the fallback initramfs.img

Please refer to this first post here and do not use the [Simple First Start] as this will not work for you. And in step 6, use “initramfs-4.19-x86_64-fallback.img” and add a “3” (no apostrophes) at that linux line to boot to prompt.

Also do the commands in step 10 which requires a clearing of grubenv and recreation of same. Don’t forget to ‘grub-install’ and the 2 additional uefi commands (if uefi).
Oh… make sure you updated your system first (pacman-mirrors, pacman -Syyuu) when/if you booted up to prompt.

If you can boot up to prompt, there’s hope and your grub will be fixed as well. If you cannot boot up normally subsequent to this, it is more than just your grub. Try fixing video drivers or the kernel with ‘mkinitcpio -P’ or with installing older kernel.

Whatever, good luck. Cheers.

That sounds to me like the equivalent to installing windows and continuing to boot the install media

The Live ISO USB boot menu does not include advanced kernel options

Once the OS is installed, booting from the installed SSD/HDD MBR or boot partition will show the installed GRUB menu with advanced options

‘esc’ has similar function to show GRUB menu like F8 key you are accustomed to elsewhere
I did not know it was also hotkey for BIOS on your system

not being able to see the GRUB menu isn’t a problem if the right kernel is loaded, so i don’t see much point in pursuing this further

My point was that I was able to access the advanced menu via booting to the USB before I installed 4.20 and after I installed 4.20 I could not access the advanced menu via booting to the USB.

In any case, here is what I’ve done:
To change from ‘grub-quiet’ package to grub package.
sudo pacman -S grub
Say ‘y’ to remove grub-quiet.
Review and correct your /etc/default/grub and
sudo update-grub

This did not make any change.

reset the GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu to
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=countdown

I get the countdown… & when I press escape, it boots to Manjaro…

Thinking this is a menu problem, I have installed GRUB Customizer (saw this on another post) from the repository and moved things into a menu.
Now when I press escape I get a menu.

Back to my original issue that when I boot into 4.20 I can not use my USB video import devices.

I edited my previous post to hopefully clear up the confusion created by my run-on sentence.

Ah… that’s making the bad problem (grub-quiet) worse.
You will run into problems later on if you do not remove grub-customizer now.
Remove package and clear /etc/grub.d/
Reinstall grub package
Redo grub-install and update-grub
All above without rebooting or shutdown.

Entirely up to you if you choose to or not (goes without saying).

[EDIT] - after thought - should have said, must be said and ought to say!!
And you should have said so (installed grub-customizer) earlier instead of all of us trying to fix this.

I posted it when I installed it not sooner & not later. I did not hold any information back and do not appreciate being accused of wasting your time.

We may be back to trying to fix the boot loader as I’m following your guidance about it (grub-customizer) being problematic.

grub-install and update-grub did not replace the required files in /etc/grub.d/

I get this when I try sudo update-grub:

Generating grub configuration file …
Script `/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new’ contains no commands and will do nothing
Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.
Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub
and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new file attached.

seems like this is creating more problem than solution.

@gohlip care to give me some feedback on this? I’m back to not being able to access the bootloader menu. The option for a 15 second delay with a count down is set and not working.

Hold on. I need time to write.
boot into your Manjaro using this method. Not the Simple First Start but the harder one below it.
Then back up your /etc/default/grub and remove it. It needs to be removed for a new one to take its place. Rename it and put it elsewhere. Do same for /etc/grub.d. All of them.
Then install grub again. Making sure it is of version 2.03.2-1 with “pacman -Q grub”

sudo pacman -S grub

In /etc/default/grub, make sure you have the following specified.
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=15

At terminal,

sudo rm /boot/grub/grubenv
sudo grub-editenv /boot/grub/grubenv create
sudo grub-editenv - set boot_success=0
sudo grub-install 
sudo update-grub

Don’t forget to do the 2 extra UEFI commands.

sudo cp /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "manjaro" -l "\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi"

Important: use the correct $esp. the above is for sda1 $esp. The link has more information to set it correctly.
let us know.

I’ll work through this tomorrow and get back to you.

Okay, but remember I am on a different time zone and may not get back to you … ‘timely’.

What timezone are you in?

utc +8
But I sleep real late. Since young.

that’s okay, I’m on utc -8 and I don’t sleep a lot, since I’m… well, I never have slept a lot.

1 Like

To de-activate grub menu autohide, you may/should run this command

sudo grub-editenv unset menu_auto_hide

at least this is how philm suggested.

Removing quiet from grub command line maybe an added info source during boot.