VFIO GPU passthrough not working anymore

Been pulling my hair out for an hour or 2 each day trying to get this working again. I’m trying to get GPU passthrough working again on Manjaro with 2 identical 1080TI’s. I had this working previously but something borked my Manjaro install so I had to reinstall from scratch, now I can’t seem to get it going again. I haven’t made any hardware changes in between so I know UEFI is setup correctly.

Following the steps on the Arch Wiki, but jumping from step 3 to 6.1 because of the identical GPUs. IOMMU is working but the 2nd GPU to be passed through is not using the vfio-pci driver which it would be if it were being properly passed through. Not really sure what I’m missing.

$ lspci -nnk
0e:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] [10de:1b06] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device [1462:3604]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia
0e:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 HDMI Audio Controller [10de:10ef] (rev a1)
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
0f:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] [10de:1b06] (rev a1)
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia
0f:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 HDMI Audio Controller [10de:10ef] (rev a1)
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

% sudo dmesg | grep -i vfio            
[    2.026812] VFIO - User Level meta-driver version: 0.3

What changes did you make in order to get vfio-pci to bind to the GPU?

Pretty much exactly this as per the Arch wiki (no links in posts?)
##### Passthrough selected GPU

In this case we manually specify the GPU to bind.

#!/bin/sh DEVS="0000:03:00.0 0000:03:00.1" if [ ! -z "$(ls -A /sys/class/iommu)" ]; then for DEV in $DEVS; do echo "vfio-pci" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$DEV/driver_override done fi modprobe -i vfio-pci

#### Script installation

Edit `/etc/mkinitcpio.conf`:

1. Add `modconf` to the [HOOKS](https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#HOOKS) array and `/usr/local/bin/vfio-pci-override.sh` to the [FILES](https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#BINARIES_and_FILES) array.

Edit `/etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf`:

1. Add the following line: `install vfio-pci /usr/local/bin/vfio-pci-override.sh`
2. [Regenerate the initramfs](https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Regenerate_the_initramfs) and reboot.

This isn’t exactly what I did the first time. I can’t find the tutorial I originally used. I don’t recall using the script

were you able to fix this? same thing is happening to me.

Hello,

please try to replace in your grub config or vfio.conf respectively devices ID from e.g. 10de:1f06 format to 0000:0e:00.0 and 0000:0e:00.1 where 0e:00.0 and 0e:00.1 stands for device group from lspci -nnk command. Regenerate the initramfs using command sudo mkinitcpio -p linuxXXX where XXX stands for kernel version (e.g. for 5.10 kernel it should be sudo mkinitcpio -p linux510) then reboot the system. Check if GPU uses vfio-pci driver.

Hey! I was at the same spot.
Assuming you have done everything else properly, I think I know the cause for this.
In /etc/modules-load.d/mhwd-gpu.conf you have to comment the lines “nvidia” and “nvidia-drm” (had to figure thiis out myself)

and then you have to blacklist nvidia drivers in /etc/modprob.d/mhwd-gpu.conf
Here, check this guide- www.tauceti.blog/post/linux-amd-x570-nvidia-gpu-pci-passthrough-2-prepare-linux/