I just got an X1 carbon Gen 7 solely for use with linux, specifically the manjaro i3 edition. But when using certain GUI apps, they would be very unresponsive:
- I wouldn't see any response when clicking on an object
- making the the app fullscreen (and then reverting it) would show me the results of my click
- some visual elements would flicker when hovering over them
Here are the apps in which I noticed this problem:
- Chromium (and the brave browser)
- Protonmail Bridge
- kde (explained in how I tried to resolve)
How I tried to resolve the issue
I then installed the official manjaro kde edition to see if there was a lack of support on the i3 edition.
Doing so resulted in the entire os (which is a gui) to behave like the issues I was describing previously.
I also installed the Urxvt edition to see if there was a problem with the kde edition. Urxvt did respond correctly but the apps themselves did not (chrome showed the same errors).
I checked with this arch wiki article what were the kernel modules needed for my system and verified if they were loaded (
$module being the module I am checking) :
lsmod | grep $module
All the modules were loaded.
What should I do next?
I reverted to manjaro i3 after the fact to continue my system configuration...
And if it can be of any help, here are my system specs:
$ inxi -Fz System: Host: workbook Kernel: 5.4.6-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: i3 4.16.1-184-g00181678 Distro: Manjaro Linux Machine: Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20R1S04100 v: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th serial: <filter> Mobo: LENOVO model: 20R1S04100 v: SDK0J40697 WIN serial: <filter> UEFI: LENOVO v: N2QET15W (1.09 ) date: 10/18/2019 Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 19.8 Wh condition: 52.9/51.0 Wh (104%) CPU: Topology: 6-Core model: Intel Core i7-10710U bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 12.0 MiB Speed: 1231 MHz min/max: 400/4700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2098 2: 1566 3: 1702 4: 1742 5: 1732 6: 1546 7: 1698 8: 1553 9: 1657 10: 1659 11: 1699 12: 1688 Graphics: Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.6 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting tty: N/A OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics (Comet Lake 3x8 GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 19.3.1 Audio: Device-1: Intel driver: snd_hda_intel Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.6-2-MANJARO Network: Device-1: Intel driver: iwlwifi IF: wlp0s20f3 state: up mac: <filter> Device-2: Intel Ethernet I219-V driver: N/A IF-ID-1: tun0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A Drives: Local Storage: total: 953.87 GiB used: 96.92 GiB (10.2%) ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Intel model: SSDPEKKF010T8L size: 953.87 GiB Partition: ID-1: / size: 921.03 GiB used: 96.92 GiB (10.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 ID-2: swap-1 size: 16.84 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3 Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0 C mobo: N/A Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 Info: Processes: 256 Uptime: 54m Memory: 15.31 GiB used: 2.10 GiB (13.7%) Shell: zsh inxi: 3.0.37