/usr on separate partition

Hi Friends! I wish to ask about separate /usr partition. I want to use more than only one manjaro distros with different DE (Cinnamon and Deepin for example). Usually I have the same pack of usable apps. Can I use separate /usr partition for this aim - one pack for each manjaro distro? (Sorry 4 my English)

Hi This is how I install manjaro in my hard drive
format gpt
partition 1 300 mib /uefi/boot
partition 2 50000 mib /
partition 3 what is left of drive ie 150000 mib
all partitioned via gparted in calamares
ok my friend

That should be possible, yes. Just remember to keep the root filesystem and /home separate.

You can then use a common partition for your user data ─ e.g. mounted at /local ─ and symlink your ~/Documents, ~/Downloads and similar other directories to similarly named directories under /local. Also make sure that you set the permissions correctly, so that you have write access to anything under /local.

Technically, it shouldn't even be necessary to install different Manjaro editions separately, because GNU/Linux supports having multiple graphical user interfaces installed on the same machine, and will then offer you the choice which one to use at login. At least, in theory. :wink:

However, with most of those desktop environments and window managers all choosing their own display manager, with GNOME running on top of Wayland instead of on X11, and with discrepancies with regard to what virtual console the graphical session will be running at ─ e.g. KDE Plasma normally runs at /dev/tty1 by default, whereas XFCE uses /dev/tty7 by default ─ things could get messy if you try installing different graphical user interfaces into a single system.

But yes, sharing /usr would definitely work. It is even not uncommon in network setups to have /usr exported over the LAN, so that it can be mounted ─ read-only ─ via NFS by the different workstations. :wink:

I am not necessarily recommending this practice, nor advocating it as "good practice" per se; instead i offer this purely for general interest. Currently my Tower runs dual-DE dual-boot. My usual boot is Manjaro, whose DEs are KDE + Cinnamon [but for some months, until some months back, the 2nd DE was GNOME not Cinnamon]. My secondary boot is Fedora30, which has DEs KDE + GNOME. All of this works very sweetly for me, with the one user, a common data partition, & independent home LUKS-partitions for each boot. FYI, fwiw, ymmv, HHGTTG, MPFC.

1 Like

Unfortunately, newbs tend to make a complete mess of things when installing multiple desktops as they don't do the research on how to pull it off successfully.

1 Like

If you're suggesting to me that there might be even the slightest possibility of some noobs coming here & demanding the forum educate them in basics & solve their problems that just a little bit of self-initiated pre-research could have resolved, then i'd be simply gobsmacked.

:innocent:

3 Likes