/usr/bin/wine is not returning what I expect, and I'm not sure how to investigate

Hi. I’ve had the AUR package wine-ge-custom installed for a while now, and I’ve updated it many times. However, I’ve noticed that the version string it returns is not the version I expect. Here’s output to show you what I mean.

[alex@alex-pc ~]$ yay -Qo wine
/usr/bin/wine is owned by wine-ge-custom 1:GE.Proton7.35-1
[alex@alex-pc ~]$ which wine
/usr/bin/wine
[alex@alex-pc ~]$ wine --version
wine-ge-7.0 (Staging)
[alex@alex-pc ~]$

I’ve tried rebuilding wine-ge-custom from scratch using yay -Sa aur/wine-ge-custom and choosing “[A]ll” when asked “Packages to cleanBuild?”, which took about 45 minutes. After that, the output for the above commands was the same as before, so it seems to me that clean-building the package did not solve the mystery.

My question is not “Why is that package wrong?” since I’m almost certain that the package is not wrong, but more, “How can I investigate the cause of this on my system?” since I’m almost certain there must be an issue on my system. Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

wine-ge-custom or any other Proton version is not related to /usr/bin/wine. That’s provided by wine and wine-staging.

You can verify that by querying what package owns that binary:

pacman -Qo /usr/bin/wine

You can view the files that are part of wine-ge-custom with:

pacman -Ql wine-ge-custom

Tip: It’s easier to manage custom Proton versions in userspace. You can use something like protonup-qt (available in the AUR) to manage them.

That ownership command is what I ran with yay in my original post, but I’ve tried with pacman and it seems to return the same output. Listing the files which are part of wine-ge-custom also includes /usr/bin/wine. Here’s the output I see when running those commands, and comparing the yay output with the pacman output, which seem to be the same:

[alex@alex-pc ~]$ yay -Qo /usr/bin/wine
[alex@alex-pc ~]$ pacman -Qo /usr/bin/wine
[alex@alex-pc ~]$ pacman -Ql wine-ge-custom
wine-ge-custom /usr/
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/function_grep.pl
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/msidb
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/msiexec
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/notepad
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/regedit
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/regsvr32
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/widl
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/wine
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/wine-preloader
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/wine64
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/wine64-preloader
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/wineboot
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/winebuild
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/winecfg
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/wineconsole
wine-ge-custom /usr/bin/winecpp
[...]

I think I figured it out. wine-ge-custom’s wine-staging submodule is pinned at the Wine Staging v7.0 release, and the version number of the binary is from that. It seems there’s nothing that should be unexpected happening, and the wine-ge-custom project is a bit staler than I’d expected at this moment.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.