Useful Firefox extensions

firefox

Hi.

As Firefox is the standard browser for Manjaro ARM (rightly I think), what are your preferred extensions ?

I feel the requirements for a small device like a SBC or Pinebook can be a bit different so it would be interesting to see what people use.

Here is the list of my extensions:

Manage resources

Extension Description
Auto Tab Discard Reduce resource need for tabs that have not been used for a while
NoScript Blocks the execution of any Javascript unless allowed
uBlock Origin Add blocker that is nice to system resources

Security

Extension Description
BitWarden Makes the passwords of BitWarden easily available in the Browser

Comfort

Extension Description
Saka key Allows to manage many activities in the browser using key-combinations
1 Like

Ublock is essential. tab discard is nice if you need/want it.
Some might throw privacy badger in there too.

uMatrix (nMatrix on older Firefox versions) is far more powerful and can replace uBlock and noscript, and do a far better job for the users that are privacy (no spyware) heavy. It takes more user interaction if you want to set for trusted websites, but it blocks most spyware.

Essential privacy (and other) addons

3 Likes

In Waterfox, I also use ClearURLS, Enhanced Cookie Manager, HTTPS Everywhere, and Decentraleyes.

1 Like

I use nano defender with uBlock origin to add an anti-adblock defuser.

2 Likes

huh.
hadnt seen that.
How is the overhead? Is it somehow more special than extra robust lists?

Nano Defender is an anti-adblock defuser. The overhead seems minimal on my Asus netbook. More information is given in this article:
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/02/15/integrate-nano-defender-with-ublock-origin-to-block-anti-adblocker/

1 Like

Seems like we get one of these threads every two months. :thinking:
I bet the search button must be broken. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

What I use in both Firefox and Chromium:

• Privacy Settings
  • uBlock Origin (NOT “ublock”. That’s the wrong one) with Third Party Webfonts list added.
  • Privacy Badger
  • Decentraleyes

That covers basically all I can bother with. I strongly recommend uMatrix instead of Privacy Badger if you can bother setting every single homepage individually and still get things frakked.

1 Like

What is mandatory for me are:

uMatrix is more of a uBlock Origin replacement, not Privacy Badger imo. Also, you can turn on advanced settings in uBlock Origin to be able to do similar things as uMatrix has.

Yes it’s very powerful, and not recommended for everyone to use as it is quite complicated. Also, you can just turn on advanced settings/modes for uBlock Origin to do very similar things as uMatrix.

3 Likes

They are made by the same guy, and not meant for replacing each other and doesn’t really work the same.
And yes HTTPS anywhere. Forgot that one.

Really? (BTW, Smart HTTPS is better than HTTPS anywhere, see my link above.) What forces https in your setup?

No no I meant I forgot it in my list. I am using HTTPS everywhere. Smart HTTPS is neat but the project seems abandoned without notice. Last update is mid 2018, and no comments have been made by the author since then, not regarding the project nor answers to inquries from users wondering if the project is, in fact, abandoned.

Oh, ok. Excellent.

Smart HTTPS is neat but the project seems abandoned without notice. Last update is mid 2018, and no comments have been made by the author since then, not regarding the project nor answers to inquries from users wondering if the project is, in fact, abandoned.

Yes, it appears that way. There is a comment posted on the git site about 9 days ago asking if the project is abandoned. That is a shame.

1 Like

When I use Firefox I have different addons in different profiles, depending on what that profile is setup for, but the I use predominantly

NoScript
uBlock Origin
uMatrix
Decentraleyes
CanvasBlocker
Cookie AutoDelete
Temporary Containers
Stylus (not privacy focused)
Chameleon (for some profiles only)

But the most important tool is …

An ongoing comprehensive user.js template for configuring and hardening Firefox privacy, security and anti-fingerprinting - ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js

You can either use this in totality or as a starting point and fine tune the user.js for your own specfic needs.

Their github wiki should be read too for best practices.

1 Like

Holy Moly! When you come out to play, you put on the raincoats. It is nice to have a toolbox of protection.

ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js

EWwwwwwww… a new toy to explore. I have not heard of this one. Thanks man.

Have to … interwebs is a nasty place … that warm yellow liquid is not rain either :wink: .

2 Likes

For those who are privacy focus, you could always follow this:

2 Likes

I use the same add-ons but recently stopped using Cookie AutoDelete which I find is made redundant by toggling privacy.firstparty.isolate to true in about:config and setting the browser to delete cookies on close.

The only difference is that first party cookies will be kept until you close the browser. I prefer this behaviour as it keeps me logged into websites like this forum while still preventing 3rd party cookie tracking.

If you write a lot on your browser, I would suggest Grammarly.