Use a Modern Plymouth theme like fedora and ubuntu

One thing that i really envy from modern ubuntu and fedora distros is the nice and sleek plymouth theme that they use on boot and for the installation of system updates. This single element brings elegance and a professional feel to the distro. I really would like to see something like this on manjaro.

3 Likes

Gnome release candidate has plymouth enabled. Vendor logo, small spinned and manjaro watermark. To test on your own system, install plymouth-theme-manjaro and enable plymouth as usual.

5 Likes

Be warned though.

1 Like

Just tried the latest gnome RC1. But the Plymouth doesn’t show up for me. Although I saw that the package plymouth-theme-manjaro were indeed installed. Is there any problem with Plymouth and nvidia drivers ?

I find them slow, bloated, ugly, another point of failure, and actively hindering of troubleshooting…
But to each their own.
Despite my personal feelings it seems manjaro does plan to re-introduce plymouth by default.
(yes we used to have it and got rid of it … now its coming back I guess)

PS - its pretty darn easy to do it yourself if thats what you want.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Plymouth

4 Likes

It should be enabled only in installed system, not the live system. Did you install?

Thanks for this. Did an architect gnome install a while back, but was wondering why the decryption passphrase entry screen didn’t look as pretty as the one Ubuntu has. Will give this a go.

That’s a matter of taste, isn’t it?
Me personally stuff like this reminds me on some negative aspects of an OS i left behind a while ago.

Nope, I tried only the live image. That must be it then.

Don’t forget about hooks in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:

HOOKS=(base udev keyboard consolefont autodetect plymouth modconf block tpm2 plymouth-encrypt lvm2 resume filesystems)

keyboard before autodetect if your machine is a laptop with an external keyboard attached from time to time
plymouth-encrypt instead of encrypt if there’s an encrypted filesystem that should be unlocked during the boot using a pretty “graphical” interface

I also had to enable early KMS by adding amdgpu to MODULES=() for it to work.

1 Like

Do i have to do something similar in nvidia ?

probably.
Early KMS is generally good anyways if you are going to use that module.

It works without it for me, but early kms is always better in my experience. If you also have integrated Intel or amd gpu, you can set kms with them.