USB Stick - Why is it so?

My usb stick was playing up with video so I replaced it. The new one works great or so I thought.

Only using Manjaro to copy files over it never has a problem. Then I put it into a system with Windows 7. Straight away Windows says it has error & it need to scan & fix them. I pulled the usb stick right out of there (I know I should have removed it the proper way but I did not want it in there).

Using Manjaro only the stick is still working as it should.

It seems that the only problem with my old usb stick was connecting it to Windows where it would, sometimes, want to scan & fix it.

So why does Windows have an issue with the stick sharing it between Manjaro & Windows? Getting Windows to ‘scan & fix’ seems to have corrupted the video.

What format is the stick? ntfs? fat32? something else?

FAT32. Forgot to add that. :dizzy_face:

It normally goes from Manjaro to the TV & back. Only when it sees Windows it has a fit.

Your USB Stick is now a full Linux user. This is common behaviour. :rofl:

I have a fair number of USB flashdrives, and I find this quite frequently when I use it on my GF’s Windows computer.

It seems to depend on the individual stick. Some will pop an error message occasionally, and others seem to do it every time it’s inserted.

It’s no big deal. Just scan it, and it’s good to go.

I’m sure M$ will be sure to implement a new “feature” in the future that disables any hardware it detects that has been used on a foreign operating system. All for the users “safety” of course.

That’s the problem. With video anyway. I let windows scan & fix then when I put the stick into the TV it would play & then, sometimes, stop part way through watching. That was it. The video file was then corrupt & would not play. (I threw out my old stick as I thought that was the problem)

With the new stick I have used Manjaro only with it. No corruption of video at all. Seems jonathon was right. :8ball:

Old slow usb sticks or even new cheap ones will often not play video correctly on consumer devices. You need to spend the extra money to make sure you are getting a fast well recommended flashdrive. Cheap and/or old flashdrives don’t play well on TV/DVD/BD players with usb ports.

Don’t buy from the internet , or you may find you just end up getting a cheapo knock off of an expensive name brand. Only buy from reputable brick and mortar retailers with a decent reputation. There’s a lot of junk flashdrives being sold as top quality.

Good point tbg. Didn’t even think of that when I replaced the old one. It was a toshiba & got replaced by the same brand from a reputable store. Only usb 2.0 though. Might have to be on the lookout for a reliable 3.0 with good read/write at some stage.

For now as long as I keep it out of Windows it seems to be OK.

windows also throws a format disk popup when an bootable manjaro usb stick is inserted

That is a different story - mostly because Window does not recognize it as a valid filesystem for a USB stick.

After all - the filesystem is an ISO9660 cd/dvd filesystem and Windows thinks something must be wrong :laughing:

For the FAT32 or more correct VFAT issue could be Windows expecting those phony entries in the filesystem - not finding some of them and therefore considering the filesystem incomplete and must be repaired.

Wikipedia has an article on the subject, not the repair thing but on the FAT filesystem’s history.

Removing any USB stick too fast can be damaging for any filesystem on such device.

Better to use the OS sync and/or eject functions to ensure data is not corrupted.

Windows Scan & Fix? In my experience its been Scan and Destroy! I choose not to scan because once that scanner destroyed all of the data on the USB. No need to yank out the USB, just choose the option to not scan.

All of my USBs used on Linux have become ‘not recognised’ by Windows at some point in time, but work perfectly fine on Linux. Plug 'em into Windows on another port, they work.

One thing I have noticed is that if you delete stuff from the USB on Linux, you get a .Trash-1000 folder, which can be emptied when you empty the Wastebasket, which creates an empty expunged folder inside of .Trash-1000.

One other windows quirk, sometimes windows will not read a thumbdrive used in linux on a limited user account, yet it will read fine as admin.

this post just reminded me of a broken (what i thought was garbage) usb flash that never worked again after i accidentally removed it while formatting it in windows and nothing i did could revive it or even be seen for that matter. i just wiped/formatted with gparted without any issue, now i have an extra flash drive. thanks