USB-C to HDMI: Login screen activates monitor but logging in disables monitor

That’s had no effect. Looking inside /etc/tlp.conf I changed the entry to USB_AUTOSUSPEND="0".

I’m running out of ideas…

1 Like

It’s been a while since I responded to this. The underlying issue to this problem is yet to be discovered and yet to be addressed. My suspicions are that kscreen is interfering with the way xrandr handles display output, and there is reason that is the case because this issue manifests whenever I log in to the plasma desktop. To mitigate this problem, however, I’ve added a startup script to simply execute xrandr --output DP2-1 --auto --above eDP1. This alleviates the issue but doesn’t completely resolve it.

I have another laptop that uses Kubuntu. Since that laptop has a HDMI port, there are zero issues with display output on that one. The issue with USB-C to HDMI is also present on that laptop, but not with HDMI alone. So I also suspect it’s an issue with USB-C to HDMI too.

1 Like

This is the first time you’re mentioning you’re using an adapter and I’m betting a bottle of :champagne: it’s a passive adapter, and that falls under my previous statement:

1. Passive adapter: Cheap, does’t have its own power supply, not much documentation (if any), no Linux drivers.
  2. Active adapter: 100+€, has its own power supply and DSP and only converts between well-specified resolutions. (E.G. mine does s-video, VGA, HDMI, DVI input and outputs DVI, VGA and HDMI only and goes up to FHD on HDMI/DVI and HD on VGA. It’s also an old clunker). Doesn’t need any drivers as it’s a hardware solution.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like