USB 2.0 not present on Pinebook Pro

Hi all. The USB port to the top right of the keyboard has never worked on this laptop. I would love the get this working. Any attempt to plug in a usb mouse or usb dongle fails. Running journalctl -f does not produce any output. Has anyone come across similar results? Unfortunately this has been the case since new. All other ports work - including sdcard, usb c, usb 3.0, and power plug. I am thinking of opening the case to take a closer look. Any ideas on this ?

Doesn’t it have a warranty?

This laptop is a few years old. Any ideas on how to diagnose usb connectivity?

I meant, if this is an issue since new, this may be a hardware issue. If there is no warranty now it’s a bit late to get worried about it.

I think they should show up in lsusb command for a starter.

Just wondering if your results are the same as this.
Certainly it probably is a hardware problem. I may have to pursue through the Pine64 forum.

lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0c45:6321 Microdia HP Integrated Webcam
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 002: ID 258a:001e HAILUCK CO.,LTD USB KEYBOARD
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I’m no expert, but it seems to me your USB ports are recognized from a system point of view (the ‘root hub’ things) Maybe someone will have better suggestion.

I don’t own a Pinebook to compare though, but I can see similar result with way less hubs though, which I find you have a lot on your side for a laptop. Probably some are for internal connections, but still, I find it odd that there are that much.

Thanks omano. Can anyone with a pbp compare these details?

Got it! For testing purposes I tried a USB mouse in each usb port. The usb 3.0 port listed it correctly. The command lsusb showed a Pixart Raspberry Pi mouse. I noticed that to plug it into the usb 2.0 port I was reversing the plug. Careful examination with a torch showed no pins inside the plug. I pushed the plastic “tongue” to the other side of the plug. (possibly it was bent or broken) Now I could see the connecting pins. As a result the usb mouse started working in the usb 2.0 plug.
At some point I may have inserted a usb device incorrectly and forced the pins out of alignment. Not sure if the fix is permanent - but good to have it working.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.