Upstream bug in file 5.40-2, fixed in upstream CVS master

I realize this probably isn’t the best place for this report, but I can’t find a bug tracker for Manjaro, so I hope the right people will see it here.

I’m currently up to date on the stable branch, and my installed version of the file command is 5.40-2. I recently discovered that this version of file reports MP3 files incorrectly. The expected result is

$ file -i foo.mp3
 foo.mp3: audio/mpeg; charset=binary

But what actually happens is

$ file -i foo.mp3
 foo.mp3: audio/mpegapplication/octet-stream; charset=binary

This has been fixed upstream. I’d include a link to the bug report with all of the relevant details, but I can’t do that here, so here are some search terms that will probably find it:
0000259: Glueing mime types into one

1 Like

Version 5.40-3 made it to the unstable branch a couple of days ago.

~ >>> pacman -Qi file                                                                                                                                                                                               
Name            : file
Version         : 5.40-3
Description     : File type identification utility
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://www.darwinsys.com/file/
Licenses        : custom
Groups          : base-devel
Provides        : libmagic.so=1-64
Depends On      : glibc  zlib  xz  bzip2  libseccomp  libseccomp.so=2-64
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : base  file-roller  util-linux  xdg-utils
Optional For    : inxi
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 6.91 MiB
Packager        : Sébastien Luttringer <seblu@seblu.net>
Build Date      : Mon 10 May 2021 07:06:41 AM CDT
Install Date    : Tue 11 May 2021 11:33:07 AM CDT
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

It’s just a matter of time. it should take a few weeks for that package to reach the stable branch. :slightly_smiling_face:

You mean this one? FS#70832 - upstream bug in file 5.40-3, fixed in upstream CVS master

Actually I meant the upstream bug report that that page links to, but close enough. :slight_smile:

But how did you do that? I tried to add the link myself and kept being told that links weren’t allowed in a forum post.

Links aren’t allowed for new (low trust) users. They are later on if your trust level increases.