What is this org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper?

Am experiencing constant freezes on my laptop and on checking the logs the below line is constantly showing up before each freeze.
Whats its use and how can i disable it?
system information
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.82.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.12.2-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz
Memory: 15.1 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 4400

May 31 19:03:30 datanav dbus-daemon[319]: [system] Activating service name='org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper' requested by ':1.145' (uid=1000 pid=7831 comm="/usr/lib/org_kde_powerdevil ") (using servicehelper)
May 31 19:03:30 datanav dbus-daemon[319]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper'
May 31 19:06:28 datanav dbus-daemon[319]: [system] Activating service name='org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper' requested by ':1.145' (uid=1000 pid=7831 comm="/usr/lib/org_kde_powerdevil ") (using servicehelper)
May 31 19:06:28 datanav dbus-daemon[319]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper'
May 31 19:09:00 datanav dbus-daemon[319]: [system] Activating service name='org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper' requested by ':1.145' (uid=1000 pid=7831 comm="/usr/lib/org_kde_powerdevil ") (using servicehelper)
May 31 19:09:00 datanav dbus-daemon[319]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper'
May 31 19:10:15 datanav dbus-daemon[319]: [system] Activating service name='org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper' requested by ':1.145' (uid=1000 pid=7831 comm="/usr/lib/org_kde_powerdevil ") (using servicehelper)
May 31 19:10:15 datanav dbus-daemon[319]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper'
May 31 19:11:30 datanav dbus-daemon[319]: [system] Activating service name='org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper' requested by ':1.145' (uid=1000 pid=7831 comm="/usr/lib/org_kde_powerdevil ") (using servicehelper)
May 31 19:11:30 datanav dbus-daemon[319]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper'

It is a KDE service for adjusting the monitor backlight on laptops.

So it could be the culprit for the constant freezes?

That doesn’t seem likely, although it’s weird that it appears to be restarting all the time.

Just experienced another freeze as i was typing this reply and yet again the backlight helper shows up on the logs. Can i disable the feature/service?

I think so, yes. In System Settings, go to… :arrow_down:

Startup and Shutdown → Background Services

Look in the list whether it’s there ─ I’m on a desktop and I don’t have it. Therefore I also don’t know whether it would be under the Power Management section in the Hardware screen, but maybe you’ll see it listed there too.

Just checked on the 2 places and cant seem to find it. Could it be the k2 screen thing?

I am hesitant to say that would be it. I thought that’s for screen rotation or something. I really don’t know. :man_shrugging:

Edit: No, as I thought already KScreen2 is for managing additional monitors ─ placement, resolution, et al.

Do you see anything pertaining to backlight in the SystemD section of the System Settings? :thinking:

Yes i can see a few things pertaining to backlight. See image below:

You could try disabling those and see what gives… :thinking:

Your solution seemed to work for a while but then again the issue re-occured! however i have been directed to an acpi related post where am told it could be the issue.
The post is as below:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-choose-the-proper-acpi-kernel-argument/1405

Have done the above and am just monitoring the situation. Will revert with my findings.

Unfortunately the solution did not work. Due to the lack of time to play around and deal with issues on this distro, i have made a decision to move to another distro that just works out of the box. Will try this distro once i get another laptop sometime in the near future. Thank you for your effort and time on this. Much appreciated.

1 Like