Upgrade to newest version

How can you upgrade to a new version form your existing version? (without downloading the new iso)

By keeping your system up to date. You should have a notifier icon in your system tray that will flash whenever there are updates, and there are also always dedicated announcement threads here on the forum (in the Announcements category) with the potential gotchas and workarounds.

Other than that, you don’t have to do anything. Manjaro is a rolling release, and an up-to-date system will always be on the latest version. The .isos are only snapshots, so that installing from a recent .iso does not require downloading a lot of updates afterwards.

2 Likes

Just stay updated. That’s literally all.

2 Likes

I keep my system up to date, but I wonder about kernels. I don’t update mine because everything is working fine, I’m on 5.15.108-1-MANJARO (64-bit) Still one day it will no longer be supported and then I should update, is this done automatically or do I do this manually? If manual, how am I notified?

The Manjaro Settings Manager icon in the system tray should warn you when a kernel becomes deprecated. However, 5.15 is a long-term-support kernel and will still be supported until at least October 2026. And there’s a newer LTS already that you can switch to, i.e. 6.1.

1 Like
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.