Unable to start AppArmor

Running Manjaro KDE. When I go to Systemd in Systems Settings, I see the apparmor.service as inactive and a Unit State of dead. If I right click on it and select “Start Unit”, I am asked for my password, then nothing happens, the apparmor.service remains inactive/dead.

Any ideas?

Thanks

apparmor

No information, no ideas :stuck_out_tongue:
What you see when you type:

systemctl status apparmor.service
journalctl -b -u apparmor.service

Any errors?

Tomek,

I ran the two commands you suggested, the results are shown below.

Thanks

$ systemctl status apparmor.service
○ apparmor.service - Load AppArmor profiles
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/apparmor.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
  Condition: start condition failed at Mon 2021-09-20 13:36:42 MDT; 4h 7min left
             └─ ConditionSecurity=apparmor was not met

$ journalctl -b -u apparmor.service
-- Journal begins at Sun 2021-08-22 07:37:26 MDT, ends at Mon 2021-09-20 13:37:13 MDT. --
-- No entries --

Do you have the following as an entry in grub?

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="apparmor=1 security=apparmor"

So, I opened GRUB with nano at the /etc/default folder, and found the following line in it:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet resume=UUID=efd44b71-95f2-4625-9bd9-ea72dd1fb5df udev.log_priority=3"

However, did not find

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="apparmor=1 security=apparmor"

So, I am assuming said line should be added to GRUB, however, I do not know the correct way of doing this. Would it be as:

1. A second, separate line, or
  2. Somehow adding it to the end of the existing GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=

If #2 above is the right answer, would you be so kind to show me the proper way to structure it, so I don’t end up hosing my system?

Thanks

That line in your case should look like (there is no matter if you add entries in the end or in the begining, just put space between entries):

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="apparmor=1 security=apparmor quiet resume=UUID=efd44b71-95f2-4625-9bd9-ea72dd1fb5df udev.log_priority=3"

Save and update GRUB:

sudo update-grub

After reboot you should be able to run apparmor service.

1 Like

I did as indicated, and it is now running.

Thanks!!

apparmor

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.